This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
This is a highly skilled technical position that works in close collaboration with the production department and creative team for each MainSpace production. This position is responsible for providing overall supervision, co-ordination and safety of all MainSpace productions, along with the Production Manager and Technical Director.
The position requires a self-motivated individual to exercise sound judgment, to communicate with other departments, and to supervise casual technicians as required on an individual production basis. The position requires an understanding of technical theatre, managing relationships, and balancing responsibilities and time in a manner that is best for the company.
The position is responsible for:
• running the lighting, video and sound aspects of all MainSpace productions
• working with the Production Manager and Technical Director to facilitate the install and set-up of all related technical aspects
• tracking rental equipment and related budgets
• participating in the construction of any lighting, video or sound special effects required by the production
• leading casual crew on installs and strikes of all technical equipment
• repairing and maintaining the stage and related equipment
• aiding in the maintenance of the physical plant. Reporting any deficiencies to the Facility Manager
• following the policies and procedures of the company and ensuring the safe use of all the facility’s theatrical equipment on stage
• anticipating, identifying, and resolving show related problems
• taking an active role in the production department to ensure the quality of productions
• working in close relation with the rest of the production department and Front Of House Staff
• making recommendations and observations to the Production Manager and Technical Director regarding ongoing maintenance required in the theatre
• maintaining professionalism in order to attain the best quality production
• maintaining and anticipating the stage related supplies required
• following guidelines for the use of all production equipment and personnel
• ensuring all company policies, Health & Safety, Fire, Employment Standards, and WHMIS regulations are followed by casual crew
• minimum 3 years experience as a house technician in a similar venue
• detailed knowledge of audio, lighting, video and rigging as it applies to technical theatre
• extensive experience with digital sound consoles, various lighting consoles (specifically ETC ION)
• detailed knowledge of sound playback systems (specifically QLab)
• experience with projections and projection playback systems
• leadership experience
• appreciation for the arts
• knowledge and skill in using computers, printers, and related software
• communication and interpersonal skills
• ability to function and cope well under stressful situations
• knowledge in using and maintaining all stage equipment
• ability to make recommendations regarding equipment acquisition, repairs and maintenance, standard operating procedures and system configuration
• ability to lift and work with weight in excess of 40 pounds, work from heights up to twenty feet, read and work from a rigging or hang plot and associated paper work
• knowledge of stage carpentry and stage rigging would be an asset
• knowledge of Fall Protection/Arrest standards and practices would be an asset
• First Aid training would be an asset
The successful candidate must be willing to work flexible hours. Evenings and weekends are required by the position.
Applications should include a cover letter and resume with references.
The deadline for applications is 5pm Monday December 1, 2014.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants should apply via email to Eleanor Antoncic, Production Manager
Tarragon Theatre is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected mid-sized theatres and is a leader in the field of new Canadian plays. Tarragon Theatre is dedicated to discovering and mentoring artists who tell Canadian stories. Tarragon believes in equal opportunities in the arts for everyone. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.