This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the positions of Head of Props for our 2016 Summer Production. The Passion Play is a unique working environment as we are a professionally supported community theatre company on a filmic scale. Our stage is over a kilometer from SL to SR and rises in elevation more than 100'. The cast is approximately 200 performers, depending on the year, and 95% are volunteers. The rehearsals and performances happen outdoors on our stage in all kinds of spring and summer weather with as much tech as possible from day one. The Successful candidate will be part of the Set/Props Build team which consists of: Head of Props Construction, Assistant props builder, Armourer, Head Carpenter, Assistant Carpenters, and Production Volunteers.
Duties include but not limited to:
• Responsible for the procurement of prop elements for the production by either inventory search, construction, purchase or rental means as appropriate for the show.
• Work with the Set/props Designer, Production Manager and Technical Director to effectively build props design elements.
• Oversee and participate in the timely completion of all prop design elements built for the production, working to high standards of accuracy and detail.
• Manage props builders in all areas, including wood, metal, paint, foam, drapes and others.
• Assists in costing, budgeting and scheduling the project builds.
• Expedites projects within scheduled deadlines and Reports to the Production Manager on a regular basis as to the status of the project budget and schedule.
• Supervise and maintain the workshop and production worksites and to keep them safe and clean
• Responsible for the inventory, care and maintenance of all props/set pieces associated with the production and as necessary Repair and/or rebuild old props pieces.
• Interpret Technical and design and drawings produced for the production into new built prop elements for use by performers and Directors.
• Source and purchase set/props that cannot, or should not, be built for the production in house.
• They must be aware of the requirements of the health and safety legislation and procedures relevant to their role and be responsible for expressing any safety concerns that are observed and assisting to rectify them
• Continuously take into consideration the props/set pieces from the script, the rehearsal notes or are assigned by the Designer and help to ensure that they are available on time, and within budgetary requirements.
• Other duties as assigned by Production Manager for the smooth operation of the set/props departments.
• Oversee and participate in Pre-setting, show setting and striking of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
This is a contract position that is full time (5 day weeks), on site in Drumheller, AB, from early May through late July. The Passion Play is not preferential to either Union or Non-Union professionals. If you have questions please do not hesitate to contact the email listed.
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Please submit digital resumes to no later than February 26th, 2016.
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. A not for profit, charitable organization in its 23rd season, the company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. With mixed cast of roughly 200 volunteer and professional performers, live animals and permanent middle eastern set structures on a massive outdoor stage, The Passion Play is an epic story told on an epic scale.