This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Alberta Ballet is seeking an Assistant Technical Director / Construction Coordinator with proficient project management and computer drafting skills.
Reporting to the Technical Director and/or the Director of Production and Touring, the Assistant Technical Director supports the creation and construction of Alberta Ballet productions by supervising the Alberta Ballet scenic shop and warehouse, production staff, and by coordinating and constructing scenic builds.
• Create build schedules that work within budget and follow the guidelines of the collective agreement between Alberta Ballet and IATSE.
• Manage the construction of scenery which includes estimating costs of labour and materials, generating shop drawings,
and planning and coordinating both labour and materials.
• Manage shop resources and supplies to ensure the smooth operation
of the warehouse and shop facility.
• Administer the care and maintenance of the warehouse including its
tools and equipment as well as coordinating maintenance projects at
other Alberta Ballet facilities.
• Be a member of the Joint Health and Safety Committee in developing, instituting, and monitoring safe work practices at the warehouse and while in performance venues.
• Schedule and coordinate with outside contractors such as painters, seamstresses, and fabricators.
• Coordinate with various production departments and act as liaison between them and the Technical Director.
• Assist the Technical Director in determining and assembling show requirements, creating technical riders, and scheduling and communicating information to the performance venues.
• Facilitate the needs of Guest Companies when required, acting as liaison between them, the Alberta Ballet, and the performance venues.
• Occasionally schedule installations of productions in venues locally and on tour, and liaise with presenters as required.
• Develop production schedules and crew calls in accordance with the applicable collective agreements by liaising with the technical personnel of each venue and provide schedules and calls to the Head Carpenter for distribution to IATSE personnel and locals.
• Schedule loading of the trailers prior to a tour and the unloading following a tour.
• Supervision of load-ins and load-outs in performance venues as required.
• Installation of lighting plots as provided when necessary.
• When required by the Ballet, occasional adaptation of lighting designs for the various performance venues and execution of documentation required for the designs, including lighting plots, patch, cues sheets and colour lists.
• Must be prepared to use his or her personal vehicle for occasional company business, and will be reimbursed for such use on a per kilometer basis.
• Theatre Production Program Degree or Diploma.
• Technically accomplished, solution-oriented individual with good problem solving skills.
• Able to work independently, managing projects from conception to completion with little supervision.
• High proficiency in the use of computer drafting (Vectorworks) and with Microsoft Excel is essential.
• Comfortable operating equipment including 5-ton trucks and forklifts (scissor lifts and aerial lifts an asset).
• Excellent understanding of construction techniques and practices including being comfortable in various mediums such as metal, plastics, foams, structural MIG welding in both steel and aluminum.
AS A MEMBER OF THE ALBERTA BALLET TEAM, YOU:
• Ensure working partnerships with the Ballet Master/Mistress, Artistic Director, Company Manager, Production Department, Stage Manager, Wardrobe, as well as with company administrative staff and with representatives of the School of Alberta Ballet.
• Foster good relations and communication with a variety of interest groups, including suppliers, IATSE, the performing arts industry and the community at large.
• Act at all times in the best interests of the Ballet promoting its artistic objectives.
• Develop a team oriented work environment in the department, which values staff input and builds on trust, consultation, and shared information.
Interested candidates are requested to respond via e-mail with cover letter and resume prior to June 4, 2012 to:
Director of Production & Touring
No telephone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alberta Ballet is Canada's third largest dance company and is in its 45th season. The Company of Alberta Ballet comprises 31 classically trained professional dancers from Australia, Canada, England, France, Japan, Italy, Korea, Cuba and the United States. Alberta Ballet performs in both Calgary and Edmonton between September and May and tours both within Canada and internationally.