This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Technical Director is responsible for the technical direction of a 750‐seat proscenium theatre, and the production management of all public presentations and private events occurring in the theatre.
Other responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following;
• Liaise with rental clients and establish their productions needs
• Develop technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the individual shows
• Recruit, schedule and manage the technical staff, including assistant technical director and casual crew
• Coordinate, supervise and actualize shows.
• Ensure proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
• Manage the safety of the working environment, including adherence to Occupational Health & Safety standards
• Manage and develop the technical policies and procedures for the theatre.
• Source and procure tools, equipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
• Make recommendations regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
• Assist the Buildings Manager when required
The successful applicant will have thorough knowledge of production techniques and staging principles and will possess the ability to competently lead our Production Staff to ensure a high standard for all productions. A minimum of three years experience as a Technical Director or related experience is required. College Diploma or Degree in a Theatre-related program.
The Technical Director will be self motivated, possess good organizational and time management skills, plus have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations. Must be flexible in outlook and approach to the position and be diplomatic in dealing with crews, cast, stage managers and all other staff.
Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one, or all of the following. Firearms Possession and Acquisition License, LE or FE Certificate, 1st Aid, Pyrotechnician. A valid B.C. driver’s licence is essential
Please forward a cover letter and Resume no later than July 5, 2010.
While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: not specified
Pamela Burns Resch
The Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre
3800 – 33rd Street
Vernon, BC V1T 5T6
The Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre is a 750 seat road house theatre that averages 160-200 rentals per year. Within those rentals the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre’s Society presentation season is comprised of 22-25 presentations which include theatre, dance, children’s theatre, and special presentations. Other rentals are a mixture of local organizations and professional tours.