This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Wardrobe Assistants work with the Head of Wardrobe in cutting, stitching, and dressing as required. Skills such as hand-sewing, millinery, cobbling, craftwork, dying or painting may be required in order to build and fit costumes for a cast of 200 volunteer actors over two months.
Most staff members live together on-site, so we are looking for positive team members who understand how to live cooperatively in community with mutual respect, refined stress management skills, and healthy boundaries.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Sewing new costumes or assembling costumes from general stock, under the direction of Head of Wardrobe.
• Pulling or storing costumes as required.
• Attending team meetings as needed.
• Helping to input actor and costume data (with photographs) during costume fittings, and instructing actors on the proper wearing of their costumes and removal of modern accessories (sunglasses, Fitbits, wedding rings, etc.).
• Assisting with construction, alteration, and repair of costume stock (including gluing, sewing, and repairing shoes).
• Assisting with costume pre-sets, dressing, and quick-changes during Dress Rehearsals and Performances (in collaboration with Head of Wardrobe and Stage Management).
• Liaising with performers to resolve any difficulties or issues that arise once costumes are distributed.
• Assisting with show laundry each night as required.
• Assisting with the end-of-season strike and winter storage of costumes.
• Ability to work under pressure, and balance tight deadlines with personal care and stress management
• Experience and education in Theatre and/or management
• Previous experience in theatres which are comprised mainly of volunteer actors
• Experience in outdoor theatre and/or events
• Must enjoy working in a challenging creative environment. With 200 hundred volunteer actors, animals, extreme heat, cold, rain, mud, and a tight schedule, it’s important that staff have a positive attitude and a good sense of humour.
• Willing and able to walk the challenging outdoor, 60-acre set
The contract runs from May 7 to July 27, 2018 in Drumheller, AB (on-site accommodations are available).
Salary: Contract fee to be negotiated
Vance Neudorf – Executive Director
1-403-823-2001 ext. 226
Now in its 25th Season, the Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. The company is a unique combination of primarily volunteer performers with professional mentors and crew. The company mandate is to annually depict the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is performed on Canada’s largest outdoor stage, built into the hills of the Drumheller badlands in front of a 2500-seat outdoor amphitheatre.