This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Theatre Technician, cSPACE King Edward
Position Type: Part-Time; hourly rate $20-$25 based on experience and qualifications
Location: cSPACE King Edward, 1721-29 Avenue SW
Start Date: April, 2018
Application Deadline: March 16, 2018 (Resumes will also be accepted on an ongoing basis after March 16)
Reporting to the Manager - Facility Design and Operations, the Theatre Technician role encompasses duties that include lighting, sound, stage rigging, video and general live event set-up, operation and administration, within the dynamics of a multi-tenant, multi-use arts facility and event venue.
• Take responsibility for all technical infrastructure within the Studio Theatre and event spaces, auxiliary support spaces, including activities inside and around the building site and park spaces.
• Provide technical production support in a proactive, creative and client-oriented manner for either cSPACE events, performances and activities, or for cSPACE rental groups.
• Work with multiple client groups to support the delivery of artistic, academic and venue rental activities and events.
• Plan, organize, and perform technical and administrative support activities related to execution of any and all events and productions at cSPACE.
• Assist in the safe operation and maintenance of theatre sound, lighting, projection, rigging, and related equipment and systems used in support of stage productions, meetings, and varied events; performs other related duties as required.
The Theatre Technician will demonstrate proficiency in performing the assigned functions and skilled technical duties with only occasional instruction or assistance from the Manager.
General Duties - Applies to all in-house performances, events, and other activities as well as to external engagements as required:
• Set up and operate performance / event spaces
• Set up and operate staging, lighting, sound and multimedia equipment
• Liaise with relevant staff to ensure effective support is anticipated and provided to ensure a successful client experience
• Provide technical and creative support to all users of the Theatre and event spaces
• Provide maintenance support for all relevant technical equipment, machines, furniture, fixtures and fittings
• Ensure all equipment is stored safely and securely, and is accessible to other cSPACE staff
• Maintain an inventory of all equipment and materials held, used and/or rented out
Health & Safety
• Ensure all health and safety requirements are met for the use of the performance and event spaces and produce regular risk assessments for all Theatre / event space activities
• Attend training as required and maintain awareness of health and safety regulations specific to the spaces and equipment used
• Regularly update and advise all users of the Theatre and event spaces on the safe use of the area and equipment, on a daily basis as required
• Participate in annual safety checks of all technical equipment, machines, furniture, fixtures and fittings
• Set up furniture, staging, lighting, sound and multimedia equipment for performance, meeting and event spaces
• In conjunction with the Manager and cSPACE staff, ensure both internal and external users are fully briefed on the safe use of the performance, meeting and event spaces
• Where required, provide technical assistance to internal and external users
• Support and oversee non-cSPACE technicians and users of the performance, meeting and event spaces and ensure all equipment is maintained
• Oversee transformations from customized installations and productions, to restoring general presets, house plots, and typical configurations as needed for the performance, meeting and event spaces
• Strong, proven experience in lighting, sound and A/V set-up and operation
• Strong, proven experience and/or qualification in stage carpentry and rigging considered an asset
• Strong, proven experience working in a broad range of live performance, conference and event activities
• Excellent working knowledge of IT including projector set-up, Powerpoint presentations and specific theatre industry operating and design programs
• Up to date knowledge of lighting systems, control apparatus, equipment and its maintenance
• Up to date knowledge of digital audio and audio-visual equipment and its use in relation to live, recorded and play-back techniques
• An enthusiasm for working within a team environment, and with advising a wide range of clients in technical theatre and event production
• Excellent interpersonal skills, able to communicate clearly and consistently with all theatre and event space users, especially non-technical users
• Highly organized and adaptable, with successful experience in meeting deadlines and managing conflicting priorities
• Experience in implementing health and safety requirements and risk assessments
• Confident in manual-handling/heavy lifting of theatre equipment, climbing ladders etc. and able to do so safely
• Confident in working independently but also willing to collaborate with other cSPACE staff as necessary
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends
• Enthusiasm and empathy with supporting the aims and goals of cSPACE King Edward
Considered and Asset
• Experience in event management and administration
• Experience working in a broad range of theatre, conference and event production capacities
• An interest in working closely to supporting emerging artists, new work, and multidisciplinary practices and productions
• Working at height training
Please respond with:
• Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
• A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how your skill set and experience responds to the position requirements
• A resume
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Please submit all applications as a single .pdf by email to:
cSPACE King Edward, 1721-29 Avenue SW, Calgary AB T2T 6T7
Please submit all applications as a single .pdf by email to:
cSPACE King Edward is a playground for creativity, community and collaboration.
An arts hub, innovative venue and coworking space for Calgary to experiment, explore and spark change.
Visit our website for more information:http://cspacekingedward.com/