This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Keyano Theatre in Fort McMurray, Alberta is looking for technical talent for a full time, 10 month sessional position – Mid July to Mid May on a recurring basis. Keyano Theatre is a well equipped professional performance venue utilizing the technologies from ETC, Yamaha, Meyer, and Figure 53 to name a few. This position may work in the areas of lighting, audio, carpentry, props, wardrobe, painting, rigging, equipment maintenance, video, event production and design. Technicians in our organization are required to do work in all aspects, but are generally given a portfolio to become their specialty. Significant independence is granted to our technicians in terms of project completion whether it is a construction, concert or event audio or lighting, or prop acquisition or building.
The Theatre Support Technician, under the direction of the Production Manager and Technical Director, will work in all aspects of technical services. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to set-up and operation of Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre as well as other locations throughout the College. The candidate will be required to work as a team member in the operation, set-up and strike of Art Centre/Theatre performance venues including but not limited to costumes, properties, carpentry, audio, rigging and lighting.
The hours of work are based on a 35 hour work week with overtime and shift work required. This position is a 10 month permanent, sessional position (Mid July- Mid May).
• Technical Theatre Diploma from an accredited institution or an equivalent combination of qualifications acceptable by the employer
• No additional experience required – great opportunity for recent graduates!
• All theatre technical skill sets will be considered but a strength and comfort with lighting and/or audio is definitely an asset. Additional experience with scenic carpentry and props will be a definite asset.
• A good understanding and knowledge of theatre operations, community theatre, facility rentals and safety procedures essential to a well-managed theatre would be consider as additional skills.
• A good sense of humor and the ability to work with a variety of clients in a diverse, fast-paced environment is essential for this position.
• A Class 5 Driver’s license and Standard First Aid are required.
• Shift work and Flexibility are necessary to be successful in this position.
• Additional training/certification would be considered as definite assets (Pyrotechnic/firearm Certification, etc.).
This position is designed with recent graduates in mind. Are you looking for a place to get a few years of experience? This is an opportunity to work with other technicians as mentors, yet be given opportunity to exercise some independence. This position will work a lot of performances in our 192 seat Keyano Recital Theatre as well as a lot of prop work for the KTC drama productions.
This sessional position also allows for some time off in the early summer months to be a part of other summer festivals and programs.
Salary: $4301.38 per month and includes a comprehensive health and benefits package. This position qualifies for the Regional Living Allowance of $1040.00 per month (subject to review).
For over 38 years the Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre is the key facility in Fort McMurray to host live community productions, touring artists and corporate events – all of which are provided with high end technical support and top notch service. Each year, the Keyano Theatre & Arts Centre hosts hundreds of entertaining, educational and thought provoking performances. We present a wide variety of artists, with a vast range of genres including: dance, country, rock, comedy and family.
Our Keyano Theatre Company (KTC) productions involve our local community, providing them with the opportunity to learn and nurture their skills, talents and creativity.
A very exciting opportunity for experience and growth at Keyano comes from our range of events. We are BOTH a road house with a concert series and rental events, as well as a producing venue with four to six plays produced locally by our crew. Walking this fine line between event types means the experience gained at Keyano can take you anywhere!