This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
The Technical Director will be responsible for all technical aspects of production at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage and will work together with the Technical Director for the Granville Island Stages and Tours in the supervision and direction of the Production Department including shop and stage staff and facilities.
Other responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following;
• Liaise with Production and Stage Managers, Designers and Directors
• Develop technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the individual shows
• Evaluate practicability of concepts, prepare estimates and monitor spending within the assigned budgets
• Coordinate and supervise the implementations of approved technical designs for set, props, and costumes, lighting, sound and special effects, and other technical performance support
• Source and procure tools, equipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
• Establish production schedules, attend production meetings and oversee set-ups and strikes, Tech rehearsals and ensure the technical consistency of performances;
• Hire and supervise production staff in all relevant areas; provide direction, training, support and evaluation
• Ensure proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment.
• Make recommendations regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
• Assist with occupational safety and health, sit on the Joint Health and Safety Committee
• Assist with the supervision of facilities rentals
• Assist the Buildings Manager when required
The successful applicant will have thorough knowledge of production techniques and staging principles and will possess the ability to competently lead our Production Staff to ensure a high standard for all productions. A minimum of three years experience as a Technical Director, or related experience is required.
The Technical Director will be self motivated, possess good organizational and time management skills, plus have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations. Must be flexible in outlook and approach to the position and be diplomatic in dealing with crews, cast, stage managers and all other staff.
Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one, or all of the following; Firearms Possession and Acquisition License, LE Certificate, 1st Aid, Pyrotechnician. A valid B.C. driver’s licence is essential.
Deadline for Applications; June 20th 2010. Only those applicants being considered will be contacted.
Salary: not specified
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes to;
Stephan Baeuml, Director of Production
1585 Johnston Street
The Arts Club Theatre Company operates year round with a reputation for producing high-quality professional theatre in Vancouver, touring productions throughout BC, and developing and nurturing new Canadian talent. The Arts Club Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for the position of Technical Director for the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage.
The Arts Club Theatre Company is in its 46th season and operates 3 theatres, producing a season of 15 plays and musicals, plus a local run out series of three additional productions and operates under an I.A.T.S.E. Collective Agreement. The Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage is a 650 seat theatre with complete sound, lighting and fly systems, featuring plays and musicals.