This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Crow’s Theatre seeks a Technical Director, who also serves as the Head Technician of the Guloien Theatre, to join our team as we prepare for the opening of our new performing arts facility. This full-time position provides a unique opportunity for a skilled and creative individual to take a leadership role in the determination, implementation and launch of a new facility’s technical and production operations.
Reporting to the Managing Director, this position works closely with Crow’s productions, co-productions, in-Associations and short- and long-term rentals happening at Crow’s Theatre.
• Scheduling of technical crew and calls for the Guloien Theatre and Studio Theatre
• Creating technical personnel budgets related to programming
• Acting as Production Manager for smaller Crow’s productions, as timing and workload allows
• Liaising with all rentals on their production needs (scheduling/lighting/sound/AV/crew) and providing cost estimates
• Ensure that all Crow’s equipment is in good working order and that the full inventory is consistently accounted, cleaned and maintained
• Train technical personnel
• Manage the maintenance and repair of the facility’s production-related spaces
• Maintain accurate files and reports related to the theatres and productions
As the head technician for the Guloien Theatre, the TD position is also responsible for:
• The load-in, running and strike of all productions in the space – with this programming primarily focused from mid-October to mid-April, but taking place year round
• Operation of sound, lighting and/or video for all production runs
• Determining the technical needs and providing the day-of (or night-of) operations for all rental events in the space - with these events primarily focused from mid-April to mid-October
• Act as the facility’s Safety Manager, ensuring safety policies/procedures are strictly adhered to
• Thorough and proven knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials and equipment used in the operation of stage settings, rigging, scenery, lighting, audio and soft-good systems
• Minimum of 5 years in theatre technical direction, production management – or, at minimum, 5-8+ years of crew work
• Proficiency with relevant computer programs including CAD, Vector-Works, Q-Lab and MS Office applications
• A valid Canadian driver’s license is essential, ability to drive a 5-to truck would be an asset
• Exceptional communication and collaborative skills
• A demonstrated ability to be as resourceful as a mid-sized contemporary theatre requires in its TD
• Basic carpentry skills would be an asset
• WHIMIS Certification is an asset
• First Aid & CPR Certification is required
• Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including many evening and weekends
To apply, please email your detailed resume and cover letter to
Refer to “Technical Director” in subject line.
The deadline to apply is June 20, 2016. We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.
Salary: This is a salaried position commensurate with experience, in the $47,000-52,000 starting range. The position includes participation in Crow’s benefits package.
Founded in 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally.
Crow’s has undertaken and is nearing completion of the planning and construction of its first permanent home. Crow’s Theatre new state-of-the-art performing arts facility will open its doors in January 2017 - offering a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, wide-ranging community programming and partnerships.
Crow’s new facility will house three venues for cultural and neighbourhood programming and events: the multi-configurational Guloien Theatre (225 seats); a Studio (90 seats); a spacious Gallery Lobby; and a full-service Restaurant.