This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Technical Director will oversee the operation, maintenance and safekeeping of all performing arts and exhibition technical equipment within the Aga Khan Museum (AKM). S/he will also be responsible for the scheduling of in-house crew required for specific performances as well as outside rentals of spaces in the AKM. The Technical Director will also act as the Lighting Designer for all exhibitions within the museum. In the initial stages, s/he will work closely with the Production Manager to oversee the installation & commissioning of all technical production equipment throughout the venue as well as working with outside contractors and consultants prior to the opening of the Museum. The Technical Director will be responsible for successfully executing the production requirements set forth by the Production Manager and Performing Arts Manager while still keeping within the scope of the artist’s vision.
• Be responsible for lighting design and operation for internal and external functions & events
• Ensure the working condition of all lighting, sound, and rigging equipment to ensure safe operation, timely repair work, and efficient replacement timing.
• Be responsible for daily, weekly and monthly maintenance of performing arts equipment and for carrying out repairs as necessary
• Determine the necessary technical requirements for specific productions or special events (within the auditorium and public spaces) in advance of production dates.
• Work with the Exhibitions department to design and set up lighting for specific temporary and permanent exhibitions
• Oversee A/V components throughout the museum
• Determine crew requirements for shows and exhibitions and manage them
• Draft and negotiate the technical aspects of rental agreements for external clients
• A Diploma or Certificate in Technical Theatre Production from a recognized institution of higher learning or equivalent work experience
• A minimum of 3 years experience in Technical Theatre Management especially lighting design and operation for live performances
• Proficient in operation, care and use of ETC desks (ion preferred)
• Proficient in lighting maintenance for conventional and moving fixtures (LED and halogen)
• Ability to draw technical plans & plots
• Experience in production planning and budgeting and stage management
• Working knowledge and experience with AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks
• Lighting design for exhibition spaces (preferred but not necessary)
• Previous experience in crew management
• Some knowledge of audio design and operation
• Excellent customer service skills and experience in dealing with a diversified work place
• Strong knowledge of Ontario Safety Guidelines for the Performing Arts industry
• Knowledge and understanding of Occupational Health & Safety Act as well as WHIMS
• Ability to work at heights
The incumbent will be required to work part-time for the initial 3 months. There will be the possibility of being regularized subsequently, as a full time employee based on mutual agreement and evaluation.
Please send your cover letter and resume to on or before March 21st, 2014. The Museum thanks all those who apply, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Aga Khan Museum is a public institution devoted to the Islamic arts and cultures in all their historic and geographic diversity. The Museum’s mission will be to inform, educate, and inspire audiences from all cultures by presenting art created in the Islamic world throughout the past fourteen centuries, along with current paths of artistic practice and cultural development. The Museum is currently scheduled to open in Toronto in 2014.