This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Duties and responsibilities include:
• Oversees, safeguards, and operates the technical assets of the theatre, including but not limited to: lighting, sound, AV, clearcom, other equipment, for productions and events occurring in the theatre (both in-house and rentals);
• Ensures and/or undertakes the safe and appropriate rigging of all equipment, including overhead (including but not limited to lighting, AV, sound gear, draperies, etc)
• Liaises with clients/rentals and YMCA staff to coordinate renter needs and schedules for all theatre-related events, and determines the necessary technical supports;
• Designs, sets up, maintains, and operates lighting, AV, and sound systems for productions and projects; assists renters with technical matters; troubleshoots and solves minor problems that may arise;
• Supervises theatre events, ensuring the client and all workers, volunteers, patrons are operating safely and appropriately (per health and safety, fire regulations, and other protocols);
• Assists in recruiting, training and assignment of volunteer and/or paid technical staff;
• Provides technical support for the facility, including areas such as the pool (ie, swim meets and
competitions), the lobby, arts rooms, outdoors, other spaces;
• Monitors the condition of related equipment including lighting, sound, AV, and rigging equipment; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment;
• Assists with the preparation and control of related budgets (ie, equipment, supplies, technical crew, production-related);
• Effectively communicates in a variety of settings;
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to ensure best delivery of customer/client experience;
• Is available to work flexible hours, including irregular and extended hours, esp. evenings and
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following:
• Experience working as a theatre technician, technical director for a theatre, and/or related education in the field
• Experience with programming and operation of lighting consoles (Element or similar)
• Experience in live sound mixing, and with digital sound processing and related equipment (Yamaha
TF3 or similar) and analogue consoles (soundcraft GB8 or similar)
• Experience with AV equipment (Christie Digital 1-DLP or similar)
• Ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performances;
• Ability to plan, develop, schedule and provide the technical supports required for each event or
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish, maintain effective working
relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, co-workers, others;
• Knowledge of safe rigging practices
• Computer literacy in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Working knowledge of Vectorworks, Q-lab is an asset.
• Fall protection certification (YMCA will provide training opportunities for recertification as/if
• Lift certification (YMCA will provide training opportunities for recertification as/if needed)
Standard First Aid and AED certification required (YMCA will provide training opportunities for re-
• Evidence of a cleared police security clearance including a vulnerable sector search;
• Three professional references required
YMCA Calgary offers multiple other perks and benefits:
▪ Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership for you, your spouse (taxable benefit) and your
▪ Comprehensive health and dental benefits – premiums paid in full by the Association;
▪ Pension plan with specified contribution matching by the Association;
▪ Anniversary flex day and gifts given to celebrate each year of employment;
▪ Program discounts;
▪ Childcare discounts;
▪ Ongoing leadership development and opportunities;
▪ Leadership award opportunities;
▪ Scholarship opportunities;
▪ Paid recertification and training.
Salary: $36,000 - $43,000 annual salary range
Please send your cover letter and resume to: Judy Lawrence
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, and has evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility - we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, indigenous programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA in Quarry Park, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children... and we are only just getting started.
In partnership with the City of Calgary, we are expanding our impact, operating new major recreational facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge (opened January 2018) and Brookfield Residential YMCA in Seton (opening January 2019). These amazing new spaces include a blackbox theatre (approx 230 seats) with full technical capabilities and a sprung floor among a host of other outstanding recreational opportunities, and will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.