This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR FOR HURON COUNTRY PLAYHOUSE
Reports to: Director of Production and Production Manager (Management)
Function: To ensure the smooth operation of the technical aspects of all productions and related activities mounted or presented at the Theatres, as well as the general upkeep of the facility. As well as to plan, organize and oversee the construction of all scenic elements for productions built in the HCP shop and supervise personnel in the scene shop.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not be limited to:
• Responsible for all aspects of technical operations within the facility, including the Mainstage, Playhouse 2, scene shop, backstage areas and all storage rooms.
• To oversee and supervise all Production personnel working in the facility.
• To organize and supervise all personnel working in the scene shop.
• Be responsible for the interpretation of blueprints, and oversee the fabrication of all components of scenery for productions assigned to the scene shop.
• To organize and oversee and to work all set-ups and strikes, lighting hangs, and focus.
• Responsible for ensuring the proper handling and repair of stage scenery.
• Assist with the safe operation of all stage apparatus and machinery, including all components of the fly system, stage deck and soft goods.
• Assist in the inspection all stage apparatus, sets and décor brought into the Theatre for use and prohibit their use if the apparatus is deemed to be potentially hazardous.
• In consultation with Management, will assist in the formulation of crew calls.
• Enter crew schedules into scheduling software and monitor time sheets of assigned staff.
• To assist Management in maintaining a balanced budget.
• To act as liaison between the Theatre and Theatre renters for technical requirements to ensure efficient support for events as necessary.
• Responsible for assisting Management in coordinating the flow of information among artistic, administrative, and production staff.
• Accountable to Management for the quality of production values within the scope of the Technical Director’s responsibility, as limited by budgetary and temporal constraints.
• To assist Management to acquire and ship all production materials, including lumber, props, paint, supplies, and when applicable, sets and rented materials.
• To forward requests for production purchases to Management for authorization.
• To be available during tech week to deal with any problems that may arise prior to Opening.
• Be responsible for the show operation in the facility and for all performances and events and will at times be prepared to assume technical operations personally.
• Co-ordinate efficient production equipment maintenance program.
• Maintain a positive working relationship with all other departments.
• Be responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, and secure working environment including the safe working environment in rehearsal halls, shops, and other work areas.
• In conjunction with the Director of Facilities, oversee the general maintenance of facility
• Ensure building is secure.
• Be responsible for reporting any accident/incidents to Management.
• Abide by all company rules and policies as detailed in the Human Resource Manual
• Be fully responsible for any keys, petty cash floats, and credit cards given to the employee by the Theatre to return any such keys, credit cards, and petty cash funds on demand.
• Uphold the professional image and name of the Theatre in good faith during all dealings with staff, guest artists, the public, suppliers and other theatre companies.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Management
• University or college degree in theatre production, or equivalent experience
• 3 years’ experience as a Technical Director or Assistant Technical Director in a theatrical setting or scene shop.
• Ability to read, interpret and produce technical drawings in AutoCAD
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
• Experience creating set construction drawings in a theatre environment
• An understanding of current production and technical practices within theatre including sound, lighting, video projection and set construction
• Experience managing diverse crew members in a theatre production environment
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Valid G license
For confidential information, candidates should respond by January 21st, in writing to:
Jeff Johnston Collins
Director of Production
46 Grand Ave. S., Cambridge, ON N1S 2L8
Drayton Entertainment is a registered, not-for-profit charitable organization and one of Canada's most successful professional theatre companies. We present the finest in live theatre for all ages at seven unique venues across Ontario: the Drayton Festival Theatre in Drayton, Huron Country Playhouse and Playhouse II in Grand Bend, King's Wharf Theatre in Penetanguishene, St. Jacobs Country Playhouse and the Schoolhouse Theatre in St. Jacobs, and the Hamilton Family Theatre Cambridge.