This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the Tour Director, the Technical Director is responsible for insuring the integrity, quality and proper operation of the show, its installations and personnel. The Technical Director shall be called upon to direct all technical disciplines related to the operation of the show. The Technical Director shall work in close liaison with all other Directors on tour to guarantee both a sound operation of the performance but also to assure the moves from one venue to the other.
• Directly responsible for planning and managing the set-up, operation and striking of all technical and scenic equipment: video, lights, sound, special effects, scenic elements, footing and flooring, acrobatic and equestrian rigging;
• Supervise the set-up of the custom made grid in accordance with the engineering norms and standards, and ensure public security;
• Supervise and direct a team of technical specialists and local labor for each department in order to ensure the integrity and quality of the show as defined by the original creators;
• Manage resources, budgets and schedules, and coordinate with all departments on tour to respect deadline and show requirements;
• Plan and manage the transportation of the complete inventory of technical equipment and mobile infrastructures.
• Implement and manage a maintenance schedule for all equipment to assure its proper function at all times;
• Analyze and recommend solutions to upper-management for dealing with each site’s specificity in accordance with the show requirements and quality standards;
• Work with the technical team to develop and maintain a safe working environment by leading the departments in conforming to all established safety policies and procedures;
• Be on call for special events, during rehearsals and training, as wells as for maintenance and evening performances;
• Participate in set-up and striking of the Big Top and electrical stage devices and equipment, as well as its maintenance and packaging for transportation.
• 5 to 8 years of experience as a Technical Director on a performing arts production involving live performers;
• Previous international touring experience is essential;
• Knowledge of transportation requirements and loading;
• 5 to 8 years of experience in managing a team of technical specialists;
• 5 to 8 years of experience with equipment used for performing arts productions, such as: audio, video, Lighting, special effects, scenic and acrobatic rigging;
• Previous experience working with animals is a strong asset;
• Working experience with regulatory safety codes and norms, demonstrated abilities to identify safety issues, implement solutions and policy to assure industry safe working practices;
• Demonstrated abilities of risk assessment and management;
• Ability to navigate different Cad platforms, Microsoft Office is essential;
• Interested in touring full-time with the show and authorized to travel and work in foreign countries.
To be discussed.
Tour conditions include transportation, lodging, per diem and meals.
Salary: to be discussed.
Candidates should apply to:
Ref.: Technical Director
Fax : (514) 879-9003
Cavalia Inc. is an entertainment company that specializes in the creation, production and touring of innovative shows. Founded by Normand Latourelle, the company reimagines the equestrian and theatrical arts. With its headquarters in Montreal, Cavalia Inc. is an integral part of Canada’s cultural heritage, and the largest Canadian-owned cultural enterprise. Its expertise in high technology, multimedia and special effects creates magical, unique, never-before-seen experiences. Its first show, Cavalia, has been seen by more than 4 million people across North America, Europe, Australia, the Middle East and Asia since its 2003 debut. Odysseo, the company’s second show, has toured to rave reviews and public acclaim since its 2011 premiere.