This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
FULL-TIME CONTRACT: SEPTEMBER 2018 – JUNE 2019
The Canadian Opera Company is currently seeking a Technical Assistant who will assist the Production Department to implement the technical elements of productions and other events. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment and brings to the role a willingness to handle various technical responsibilities while gaining valuable hands-on production experience. With this being an entry-level position, the COC recognizes that applicants may not have yet gained all of the experience or skillsets listed below and will take this into consideration in the interview process.
This position will run for a 10-month contract term ending in June 2019.
Technical Element Coordination
• In consultation with the Associate Technical Director, coordinate rehearsal setup for each season
• Act as liaison to Stage Management and the Imperial Opera Oil Theatre (IOOT) Head Technician during the COC’s rehearsals and work calls
• Create and maintain all manner of production drawings including ground plans, sections, elevations, overlays, truck packs, warehouse layouts, offstage storage plots, etc.
• Act as the technical lead for Opera for Young Audiences or other productions held in the IOOT
• Assist the Technical Director and Associate Technical Director in all manners of production related activities
• Perform any manner of production-related research and development
• Using the COC production van or other vehicle, act as the production driver when necessary, completing pickups or purchases as required
• Supervise installation, load-out, and maintenance calls at the IOOT
• Occasional supervision of work, rehearsal, and maintenance calls at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts
• Work with Stage Management and IOOT Head Technician to determine rehearsal crew needs
• Work with IOOT Head Technician to ensure proper health and safety requirements are being met and adhered to
• Track labour schedule and budget for rehearsal hall activities
• Track and schedule maintenance of COC production van
• Create and track bookings and use of COC production van
• Verify, complete or create production inventories for insurance or customs purposes
• Complete production purchase orders for accounting purposes
• Track purchases and purchase orders through the database system
• Verify completion of labour timesheets
• Liaise with suppliers and rental companies, request information, quotes, and place orders
• Perform cheque distribution to theatre and shop staff
• Degree or diploma in Technical Production from a post-secondary institution, or equivalent experience
• Proficient in AutoCAD, MS Office, FileMaker Pro, Vectorworks
• Ability to read and interpret technical drawings
• Knowledge of multiple production-related skills, such as lighting, carpentry, rigging, sound, props, wardrobe, wigs, makeup, etc.
• Experience in personnel management
• Excellent organization and communication skills (verbal and written)
• Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and exercise good judgement and initiative
• Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities successfully
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional, confidential, and tactful manner
• Sound knowledge of health and safety legislation and best practices
• Valid Class G driver’s license and a clean driving record
• Comfortable driving vehicles such as cargo vans, cube vans and 5 ton trucks
• Evening and weekend work is required
• Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Salary: $35,000 prorated to term of contract
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via email or mail, stating salary expectations, no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2018 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Only applications received by Wednesday, September 12, 2018 will be considered. The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006. For more information on the COC, visit coc.ca.