This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The Technical Assistant is a member of the Technical Services team, a dynamic, energetic and creative professional team, with the responsibility of assisting with all technical aspects of production and performance at the ACT Arts Centre. This may include lighting, sound, carpentry, rigging, and the operation of consoles, single purchase line sets, etc. They are also responsible for assisting in the maintaining and operating all theatre facilities and equipment in accordance with safety standards and legal regulations. The Technical Assistant maintains effective working relationships with all staff and provides professional customer service to a varied field of renters/clients and artists. The Technical Assistant must be able to work in a fast-paced environment including evenings and weekends.
• Support all technical needs for performances and theatre events at the ACT Arts Centre
• Assist with safety of patrons, performers, and theatre equipment pre-event, post-event, including load-in and load out.
• Assist with supervising and monitoring all activities in areas accessible to user groups to ensure safe and orderly behavior and procedures as per WCB and WHMIS regulations
• Adhere to the best practices of safe work procedures and ethics
• Execute thorough building checks and lockups as scheduled
• To act as the duty technician where required for any event
• To maintain a full working knowledge of all theatre systems and equipment
• Provide professional timely assistance to all users and staff where necessary
• Perform light ongoing maintenance as directed and required of the facility
• Fill in any performance paperwork as required in a timely manner
• Take a positive proactive approach and attitude towards all tasks and duties
• Help maintain a clean and orderly workplace
• Assist other staff with room setups, teardowns, etc.
• Other duties as required by the Technical Director or designate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• 1 – 2 years of Education or experience as theatre technician
• Must be able to work with diverse groups under tight deadlines, at odd hours, and with the ability to work within the policies, regulations and contractual obligations established by Management
• Due to the nature of the business the individual will work a flexible work week including evenings and weekends
• Experience in road house operations with a marked interest in workplace safety an asset
• Ability to act as a resource for our users is essential on technical and artistic matters
• Ability to successfully operate in a fast paced flexible environment
• Occupational First Aid Level 1 – WCB - preferred
• Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one or all of the following: BC FE (full entertainment) qualification, 1st Aid, Fall Arrest Ticket, Ariel Platform/Scissor Lift Ticket
• Criminal record check with vulnerable sector
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources via email at
The ACT Arts Centre (The ACT), located in the community of Maple Ridge and part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD), is the leading provider of engaging, vibrant and excellent Arts Programs, Gallery Exhibitions and Performing Arts Presentations for the growing communities of the region. Opened in 2003, the 486-seat theatre, studio theatre and instruction studios are home to many cultural and community events, delivering an impressive array of diverse arts and cultural programming and activities to over 80,000 patrons annually.