This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Education
Residence Counsellors will work directly with youth aged 9 – 16 years, who are attending Canada’s National Ballet School’s Summer School Program. Counsellors will supervise and care for students during Summer School (July 2016). Compensation starts at $12.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay.
Counsellors are required for the following shifts/positions:
1. Residence Counsellor: Full-time scheduled rotating shifts including evening, nights, and some weekend hours.
2. Summer School Day Counsellor: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00/6:00 p.m.
3. Evening Residence Counsellor: Monday – Friday 4:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
4. Weekend Day Residence Counsellor: Saturday & Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assisting students with daily routines.
• Interacting with students from various cultures and ethnic backgrounds while dealing with wide range of issues such as homesickness, stress, nutrition, etc.
• Preparing, organizing and facilitating activities for students.
• Helping the students to organize their schedules.
• Chaperoning the students – escorting to class, to meals, activities and events.
• Working as a team with other Summer School Counsellors and full-time staff.
• Minimum 1 year post-secondary education in Child and Youth Work, Social Work, Child Studies or a related field or equivalent experience in a related field.
• Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and team environment.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Being creative is an asset.
Successful candidates must supply the National Ballet School with a recent Vulnerable Sector Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through the Human Resources Department of NBS.
Salary: Compensation starts at $12.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay.
Qualified applicants should send resumes with cover letters to by May 13, 2016 and include “Summer Residence Counsellor - 2016” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate the preferred shift/position(s) in your cover letter.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Since its founding in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) has garnered the highest international acclaim for excellence in the training of dance professionals. NBS graduates dance in major companies around the world, and include some of the world’s finest choreographers and artistic directors. In addition to its core professional ballet program which includes residence and academic education for students in Grades 6 through 12, and intensive dance training for post-secondary students, NBS has an esteemed teacher training program and part-time classes for both young dancers and adults. NBS is currently inviting applications for the contract position of:
SUMMER SCHOOL COUNSELLORS (JULY 4TH – JULY 30TH)