This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the position of Studio Technician, reporting to the Director of Production and Technical Director. This is a contract position consisting of a minimum of (12) weeks, starting mid-September, 2018. This is a unionized position represented by I.A.T.S.E. Local #58.
Key responsibilities include:
• Supervise and coordinate crews during installation, strike, and other work sessions in the YPT Studio.
• Support installations, strikes, and other work sessions in the YPT Main Space as required.
• Organize materials, equipment and crew to facilitate the execution of YPT productions and studio rentals.
• Ensure the general cleanliness, maintenance, and safe working conditions of the studio space and equipment.
• Support rehearsals and show runs, including operation of lighting and audio equipment.
• Perform maintenance as required.
• Attend production and staff meetings as required.
• Supervise and instruct staff in the proper use of theatrical and safety equipment.
• Work evenings and weekends during tech periods and show runs.
• Participate and/or teach through YPT’s educational programming as per the requirement addressed in the collective agreement with IATSE Local 58 and YPT.
• Graduate of a recognized theatre training program.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience as theatre technician, preferably with experience as a venue technician.
• Knowledge of stage craft, scenic carpentry, stage electrics, and audio.
• Knowledge of theatrical rigging is an asset.
• Knowledge and show experience with the ETC Express console and Qlab 3 software is an asset.
• Ability to perform physical tasks, including lifting, carrying, and work on ladders.
• Ability to read technical drawings. Familiarity with Vectorworks is an asset.
• Strong belief in collaboration in the work place, especially for the purpose of education.
In accordance with YPT’s policy and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to pass a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment that includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Salary: Per the collective agreement with IATSE Local 58, the hourly rate for the Studio Technician is $20.30/hour.
Interested candidates should email resumes and cover letters in one file to:
Applications for consideration must be received by August 22, 2018.
YPT thanks all applicants but will respond only to those selected for an interview.
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 53nd Anniversary Season in 2018/19, is Canada’s largest professional theatre for young audiences company. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 80,000+. Housed in a renovated historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio, as well as operating a year-round Drama School in four locations. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily day time) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.