This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
The job description covers the scope of the job, but responsibilities may include others not mentioned but which are associated with the job and are considered reasonable.
Reports to: Director of Production and Operations
The Stage Manager Duties and Responsibilities:
• Learn the repertoire for cueing and technical comprehension:
• The Stage Manager is responsible for calling the production as created or rehearsed and is in charge of running and controlling the performance and all in theatre rehearsals.
• Responsible for the creation and updating of Cue Sheets and related documentation for each piece and detailing all aspects of the production of each piece for the purpose of remounting each ballet in the future.
• The Stage Manager will provide show reports, production technical summaries, spike charts, and other requested documentation to the Director of Production for archives.
• Production duties will include: assigning dressing rooms, setting up call board, maintenance of all “stage” supplies for the dancers, security of dancers’ valuables, overseeing spiking, company paging and cueing systems, meet the theatre representative to learn the theatre rules and regulations, deal with front of house staff regarding timings, intervals, etc., and may be requested by the Company to make public announcements concerning casting changes, program changes or sponsor acknowledgement.
• Responsible for being at all production rehearsals that include dancers or technical production as defined by the term of the contract.
• Rehearsal studio responsibilities include but are not limited to, management of any rehearsal props or scenery required in the studio. Spiking and noting location of spikes for replacement if required. Operating audio systems or video systems as required.
• Collaborates with the Director of Production in the instruction of, and oversees the production ASM intern for each production at the QET.
The above list is not exclusive or exhaustive and the Contractor will be required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position. All members of the Company are required to be professional, co-operative and flexible in line with the needs of the Company.
Ballet BC seeks a Stage Manager that is highly organized, practical and comprehensive, that is confident working in an environment that requires, efficiency and a high attention to detail. A balance of technical aptitude, and artistic sensibilities are qualities desired for this position. Excellent communication, and a team oriented attitude is essential.
Minimum of 5 years experience as a Stage Manager. Previous experience with Dance Stage Management is strongly recommended.
WorksafeBC Occupational First Aid - Level 1 (or out of province equivalent) is encouraged.
Class 5 Drivers Licence
Strong administrative skills and proficiency with MS office (or equivalent) required.
Familiar with Q-Lab and Isadora is encouraged.
This is a non Equity position.
The Contract period:
October 3 - November 10, 2016 6 weeks
January 3 - June 16, 2017 24 weeks
Must be capable of touring nationally and internationally for 10-12 weeks.
How to Apply:
Interested Candidates should submit the following:
• Cover Letter
Ballet BC is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Director of Operations and Production
601 Smithe Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 5G1
Combining classical integrity with a contemporary sensibility, Ballet BC is a company of 18 talented dancers from Canada and around the world that is committed to the ballet of today. Solidly grounded in the rigor and artistry of classical ballet, with an emphasis on innovation and the immediacy of the 21st century, the company presents a distinct and diverse repertoire of the most sought-after Canadian and international contemporary ballet choreography Ballet BC continues its commitment to perform highly acclaimed productions on regional, national and international tours in addition to its regular performance season at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver.