This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Design
As an outdoor production with a permanent ‘set’ building, the Passion Play is a unique theatrical environment. The Scenic Designer is contracted to design scenery, furnishings, and props that do all of the following: a) serve the Director’s interpretation of the work b) accentuate the established environment of our annual production c) suggest the style and tone of the whole production d) create mood and atmosphere e) give clues to the specific time and place of the action f) offer creative possibilities for actor movement or groupings g) fit within the Organization’s equipment, timelines, staff, and budget h) withstand the forces of nature for an extended period of time.
Most staff members live together on-site, so we are looking for positive team members who understand how to live cooperatively in community with mutual respect, refined stress management skills, and healthy boundaries.
• Reading the script to get a good sense of feel, flavour, and spirit of the script.
• Meeting with the Directing Team and Design Team to discuss concepts and production requirements.
• Researching art history, background politics, historical information for design details.
• Planning and monitoring the design budget.
• Researching, estimating and preparing a properties list.
• Providing scale drawings, models, or design ideas to build-teams.
• Sourcing appropriate materials and researching special effects.
• Clearly presenting ideas and liaising with other Departments, Designers, Directors, or Executive Director on collaborative elements.
• Instructing the Scenic Art Department and monitoring their work.
• Attending production meetings as needed.
• Attending necessary rehearsals to see elements in use, give and take performance notes, and advise on visual presentation.
• Attending Rehearsal Runs, Tech Week, Dress Rehearsals and Preview to take and distribute notes.
• Other duties as required
• The position requires the ability to design and develop technical designs and drawings that will allow the Scenic Arts Department and Production Manager to efficiently build elements from the designs.
• Candidates should have a proven training and ability in scenic design.
• Previous scenic design experience for outdoor theatres or events and asset.
• Must enjoy working in a challenging creative environment. With 200 hundred volunteer actors, animals, extreme heat, cold, rain, mud, and a tight schedule, it’s important that staff have a positive attitude and a good sense of humour.
• Should enjoy complete investment in a project, while respecting time management and self-care.
• Must be willing and able to walk the challenging outdoor, 60-acre set.
Contract runs from May 7 to July 27, 2018 in Drumheller, AB (on-site accommodations are available). Part time hours may be required starting in January to allow for monthly Creative Team meetings (in person or skype).
Please take a moment to visit our website www.canadianpassionplay.com and submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations.
The deadline for resume submission is Friday January 15, 2018.
Salary: Contract details to be negotiated
Vance Neudorf – Executive Director
1-403-823-2001 ext. 226
Now in its 25th Season, The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one Canada’s largest outdoor theatrical events. The company is a unique combination of primarily volunteer performers with professional mentors and crew. The company mandate is to annually depict the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is performed on Canada’s largest outdoor stage, built into the hills of the Drumheller badlands in front of a 2700-seat outdoor amphitheatre.