This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
WCT requires a Scenic Carpenter beginning Aug 5, 2014. This is a 37-week contract position.
• The Carpenter reports directly to the Technical Director and Production Manager.
• Is responsible for the construction, installation and strike of all scenic elements.
• Maintains the highest standards of production quality.
• Assists the Technical Director in costing, budgeting and scheduling.
• Assists in creation of construction plans including material lists and cut lists.
• Maintains shop budgets with the Technical Director.
• Orders, and as needed, shops for materials.
• Supervises all additional labour required for the completion of all scenery.
• Attends production meetings, staff meetings, technical rehearsals, and note sessions as scheduled.
• Organizes a safe scenic shop and maintains its supplies and equipment.
• Assists the Scenic Art and Properties departments as required.
• When time allows aid with WCT special events.
• Be a resource to other arts community members
• Minimum of 2 years professional experience as a scenic carpenter.
• Completion of a post-secondary program in Technical Theatre is an asset.
• Ability to interpret construction drawings.
• Able to work well independently or as part of a team.
• Good organizational and communication skills.
• Experience with Vectorworks and associated software an asset.
• Certifications in First Aid, WHMIS and Fall Protection are an asset.
• Awareness of the environmental impact of shop processes.
• Able to climb ladders, work at heights, and lift heavy scenery.
• On occasion, train and/or lead a production assistant and/or volunteers.
• Have a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and be comfortable driving a large van a long distance.
Salary: To be negotiated.
To apply please send a cover letter, a current CV, and a list of three references to:
Western Canada Theatre
P.O. Box 329
Kamloops, BC V2C 5K9
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Western Canada Theatre is a professional theatre based in Kamloops BC (3 ½ hours from Vancouver) playing in the 700 seat city-owned Sagebrush Theatre and WCT’s black box Pavilion Theatre. The coming season will consist of 5 mainstage shows (including 3 imports) and 2 second stage shows. Three of the season’s builds will tour.