This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Carpenter will work primarily in the scene shop at the Huron Country Playhouse in Grand Bend, collaborating with a variety of other professionals to interpret design drawings and construct the various scenic elements needed for each production.
The Carpenter reports directly to the Technical Director and Project Manager for each production.
• Reading design drawings and creating construction plans including material lists and cut lists.
• Building scenic elements following industry practices for standard construction techniques.
• Building scenic elements following tool manufacturer’s safe working procedures.
• Expediting projects within scheduled deadlines.
• Maintaining the highest standards of production quality.
• Performing other duties as assigned by Management
• Assisting the Scenic Art and Properties departments with technical aid as required
• Participating in load in, fit-up, and onstage note sessions at the Company’s various venues.
• Maintaining cleanliness and safe working areas at all times.
• Following and practicing current health and safety standards, and ensuring that all workers are safe and operating in accordance with Company policies, health and safety guidelines and regulations
• Solid understanding of scenic construction techniques.
• Experience working with a variety of scenic materials including: wood, metal, plastics, and foam.
• Able to work well independently, or as part of a team.
• Able to work at heights, climb ladders, and lift heavier scenery (approx. 40 lbs).
• Certifications in First Aid, WHMIS and Fall Protection are an asset.
• A Valid Ontario Class G Driver’s license (or equivalent) is an asset.
• Familiar with the Ontario Health and Safety Act and Live Performance Guidelines.
• Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, creativity, a collaborative spirit and the sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, artisans and creative teams.
• A passion for the arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant creative company
There will be overtime involved in this job and some travel with work away from home.
Salary: by contract
Interested candidates are asked to respond in writing with a cover letter and résumé by:
January 25th, 2013 to:
Director of Production
Jeff Johnston Collins
Applications by fax will not be accepted. While we thank everyone who applies, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No phone calls please
Drayton Entertainment is a registered, not-for-profit charitable organization, and one of Canada's most successful professional theatre companies operating 7 theatres across Ontario. The Company is currently looking for Scenic Carpenters to help construct the sets for the numerous productions in its 2013 calendar. This is a temporary job for a minimum of 5 months, but could easily be extended and possibly turn into a full time position as our company expands!