This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the Props Assistant/Scenic Artist for the summer of 2015. The contract would run from May 5th to Aug 1st, 2015.
The Props Assistant is part of the Set/Props Build Team. Directed by the Head of Set/Props Build Team for day to day functions and labour. The role may involve significant manual labour and can be physically demanding.
Part of the Set/Props Build team which consists of: TD/ Head Carp, Head of Props, Props Assistant/Scenic Artist, Armoury Supervisor/Props Assistant and Production Volunteers.
Props Assistant - Duties include but not limited to:
• Assisting in constructing, purchasing, installing and painting set/prop elements as described in the script, assigned by the Set/Props Designer and those written into the rehearsal notes by Stage Management.
• Assist with interpreting drawings and designs produced for the production then build and install set/prop elements for use by performers and Directors.
• Assist to Source and purchase set/props that cannot, or should not, be built for the production in house.
• Assist in Repair and/or rebuild old set/props as necessary.
• They must be aware of the requirements of the health and safety legislation and procedures relevant to their role and be responsible for expressing any safety concerns that are observed and assisting to rectify them.
• Responsible for the operation and movement of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Pre-setting, show setting and striking of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• ‘On the Fly’ repairs and assistance for problems pertaining to Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Rigging and operation of Stage, Set and FX pieces, plus (once trained) Human load rigging during the run of the show.
• Responsible for assisting in end of season strike and winter storage.
• Carpentry skills in rough framing and Finnish work.
• Practical, theatrical and Film Construction experience are all an asset.
• Reading Blue prints
• quick on their feet but calm in stressful situations.
• comfortable working outdoors with a large amount of volunteers and even animals.
• Organized and adaptable.
• Physically capable in outdoor non-city environments.
• Strong Communication skills.
• Personable and comfortable in large crowds.
Additional Skills: Scenic Painting, Rigging, Welding, Metal Work, etc. will be considered an asset.
Salary: Negotiable bassed on experience and position.
Please Attention to: Adrian Young, Productions Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada's largest outdoor theatrical events. Performed on a Stage roughly 1km wide and 100meters high, in the picturesque Badlands of Drumheller, Alberta, The script is performed by a mixed professional & volunteer cast of approximately 200 actors in a 2700-seat outdoor amphitheatre. Now in its 22nd season. The company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is an epic story told on an epic scale, this year's production features a creative retelling of the Gospel of John.