This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Production Manager is responsible for planning, coordinating and ensuring the execution of all technical aspects of Cultch presentations and rental productions. The Production Manager will also be responsible for managing and tracking The Cultch and York Theatre’s production and crew schedules.
Duties and responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
Overall Production Management
• Working in conjunction with the TD to plan and execute production schedules, including estimates for any construction or gear rental, transportation, set/lx/video or audio install, tech notes during productions and strike
• Liaise in advance with each theatre user’s designers and/or production teams to determine technical and crew requirements for each production
• Together with the TD review designs and technical requirements with the goal of bringing design intentions in line with inventory, time constraints and realities of production resources
• Create detail production schedule for each production to facilitate disseminating information to crew and provide an estimate of crew costs for the production. Production schedules must accurately reflect technical needs and resources for each show
• Build the schedule of required crew calls to properly resource production demands in all spaces. Book in house and IATSE casual labour as best suited to each production
• Participate in productions and cross-departmental meetings with the visiting Company’s employees and relevant outside contractors
• Create and maintain master crew and venue schedule
• Review equipment maintenance and upgrades with TD
• Liaise with IATSE 118 Executive on crew discipline, and HR matters as required
• In conjunction with the Managing Director, write job descriptions and contracts as required to hire seasonal technical staff
• Ensure that all crew receive ongoing training and upgrading as required
• PM is responsible to monitor schedules throughout the production cycle
• process and/or review crew time sheets for payroll, and maintain crew time banks
• Track departmental budget, casual labour costs, invoicing and equipment rentals
• Build season crewing estimates
• Provide preliminary costing for show rentals or builds
• Alert the Executive Director of any cost overruns in a timely manner
• Final Approval of all production expenditures, in consultation with ED
• Has authority to independently approve unexpected staff overtime while onsite, or urgent, minor budgetary changes in order to stay on schedule in a safe and timely manner
Supervision shall include helping manage that all work is done in a manner that ensures the safety of the staff, performers and patrons of The Cultch. All of the above duties and responsibilities are to be conducted in a cost effective manner, ensuring that production stay on schedule and alerting the Executive Director of any cost overruns in a timely manner.
Required skills and qualifications:
A post-secondary diploma in production and/or a minimum 10 years professional experience in technical theatre or events
Effective management skills and the ability to work under pressure is a must
Experience in scheduling and supervision of technical personnel
Experience managing budgets, invoicing for accounts payable and receivable
Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel; at least working knowledge of Vectorworks is essential
Experience negotiating Union contracts is an asset
Experience coordinating basic transport is an asset
Valid BC driver’s license
Flexible schedule; ability to occasionally work evenings, weekends and holidays
Ability to handle unexpected situations and work in a team environment
A passion for the performing arts
Excellent interpersonal skills are essential for liaising with a diverse group of renters, producers, directors, artists, other staff and IATSE crew.
Detailed knowledge of all technical disciplines and interactions of including, but not limited to lighting systems, audio systems, backline equipment, video equipment, rigging, installation of staging systems, theatre and set carpentry. The Production Manager must always be prepared to deal calmly and effectively with emergency situations and safety issues.
The Production Manager will know (or be required to learn) current rules of WCB as well as the Local IATSE 118 technical collective bargaining agreement. This position will be expected to keep up to date with changes as required by law and the job description.
Salary: $55,000 – 65,000 Cdn per annum commensurate with experience, extended health & dental plan available
HOW TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and CV to with “Production Manager” in the subject line
For more than four decades, The Cultch has presented unforgettable theatre, dance and music, bringing world-class local, national and international presentations to thousands of patrons each year. We have a vibrant rental clientele and a unique Youth Program further extending our reach into the community. Located just off Commercial Drive, The Cultch is a great place to work. Our team members include people like you – enthusiastic, innovative, passionate, detail-oriented and energetic.
The Cultch operates three theatres: the Historic Stage and Vancity Culture Lab at The Cultch on Venables Street, and the York Theatre on Commercial Drive. In 2015-16 we hosted 80 clients, with more than 100 events resulting in 550 performances. We believe you'll find our high-performance culture personally fulfilling, professionally challenging and artistically rewarding. Join our team and share our vision of a future filled with the best that contemporary art has to offer.