This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
The Production Manager is accountable to the Artistic Director for the leadership and management of the production requirements of the organization. The Production Manager is responsible to efficiently manage the production department in the mounting and operating of all productions. To arrange for production services, taking into account the availability and efficient use of time, money, people, equipment and space to meet production needs; coordinate the flow of information among artistic, administrative and production staff. The Production Manager is accountable for the quality of production values within the scope of their responsibility, as limited by budgetary and temporal constraints; efficient management of the production departments, scheduling and budget control.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties will include, but not limited to:
FINANCE & ADMINISTATIVE
• Develop, in conjunction with the Director of Finance, annual production budget as well as individual show budgets; maintain expenses within the production budgets of all RWB productions.
• Anticipate production and budget problems and bring them to the attention of the Artistic Director for consultation and solution.
• Continually seek out opportunities for increased revenue generation in the areas of production.
• Continually seek to achieve the greatest possible cost efficiency and the most effective use of expense budget.
• Prepare and negotiate contracts with light, costume, set, sound designers and other technical personnel in consultation with the Artistic Director; ensure all contract requirements are fulfilled.
• Participate with the Artistic Director in negotiations with IATSE.
• Schedule all Production Department activity, including:
o Production meetings
o Tech week, including set-ups, etc.
o Facility rentals
• Communicate the activities of the production to other departments when necessary, including: School, Marketing, Development, Box Office, Front-of-House and Administration.
• Work in conjunction with the Director of Touring and Artistic Administration on planning and implementing touring activities.
• Oversee all aspects of the Production Department of the RWB while encouraging the highest level of artistic creation in the Production Department.
• Ensure that the technical assets of the company are maintained and protected.
• Ensure that all communications, strategies and actions support, protect and nurture the brand of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet.
• Liaise with booking agents, presenters, performances venues, and local crews; negotiate and service rental requests for Tour-lite rentals, show rentals and loans.
• Ensures compliance with Health & Safety.
• Work closely with the choreographer and set, costume, lighting and sound designers to ensure the production values and needs for each show are well planned.
• Work cooperatively and communicate with artistic staff, touring, development, marketing, accounting and School ensuring the highest effective service is delivered.
• Participate as a member of the senior management team.
• Provide regular performance feedback to the Production Department staff as necessary including annual performance evaluations.
• Seek opportunities for the on-going development of Production Department.
• Continually reinforce the strategies, values and operational policies of the RWB through example and communication.
PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Five years’ experience working in production and technical performing arts with progressive responsibility.
• Budgeting, cost controls and project management
• Fine Arts Degree or Diploma in Theatre Production or comparable experience and education.
• Working knowledge of production process including scenic, lighting design and equipment.
• Broad working knowledge of the workings of a touring ballet company.
• Criminal Record Search Certificate.
• Child Abuse Registry Check Certificate.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Ability to travel outside of Manitoba and Canada
SKILLS & SPECIFICATIONS:
• Excellent written and oral communications skills with supervisors, peers and subordinates.
• Thinking creatively – develop, design and create new ideas, systems, relationships including artistic contributions
• Making decisions and solving problems – ability to analyze information and evaluate results choosing the best solution to solve problems.
• Judgment and Decision Making – considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the one most appropriate.
• Coordination of work activities for self and others by identifying information by categorizing, estimating, and detecting changes in circumstances in events.
• Monitor processes, materials, and surroundings – reviewing information to detect or assess problems.
• Critical thinking using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches.
• Time Management – ability to manage own time and time of others.
• Coordination – ability to adjust actions and/ or plans in relation to others actions.
• Attention to detail.
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet is a fast paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. This position requires extensive travel both nationally and internationally. This position requires you to coordinate and supervise the activities of others, and is constantly working with tight deadlines.
Salary: To be negotiated.
Please submit your cover letter including salary expectations along with your resume in confidence to
by JUNE 18, 2016.
Director of Human Resources
Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet.
Canada's Royal Winnipeg Ballet is one of Canada's oldest professional ballet companies. Touring nationally and internationally the Royal Winnipeg Ballet seeks to enrich the human experience by teaching, creating and performing outstanding dance.