This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Production Manager is responsible for the management of all production staff and production elements of Manitoba Theatre for Young People’s activities. Reporting to the Artistic Director and working closely with the General Manager, the Production Manager maintains a high level of artistic integrity, safety and appropriate working environment for artistic and production personnel. The Production Manager also works to support the maintenance and improvement of the facility with specific attention to the theatre spaces and equipment therein. The Production Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Administrative and Operational
• Plans and supervises the execution of production requirements to facilitate the realization of the Artistic Director’s program
• Creates and maintains an up-to-date Production Calendar for the season as well as detailed technical schedules for each show and event onstage
• Ensures the completion of all required CAEA Documents, forms and any other correspondence with regards to the season schedule and artist engagements
• Initiates and coordinates the flow of information within the production department and between the production department and other MTYP departments as required
• Ensures the facilitation of the gathering and dissemination of information from guest companies to all departments in the organization
• Ensures all logistical planning for local, national and international tours is undertaken and implemented including the smooth delivery of company management functions.
• Advises and assists the organization of special production activities and long-range planning and development
• Oversees the day to day operations of the facility.
• Oversees Health & Safety implementation as per MTYP policy and legislated requirements; supports the General Manager in policy development related to same.
• Prepares operating and capital budgets for the production department
• Tracks production expenditures accurately throughout the season
• Verifies and/or participates in creating cost estimates of all set and hard prop designs as well as equipment required for each production in a manner that supports the director and design deadlines
• Ensures all scheduling of production personnel is within the parameters of the operating budget as set by the Artistic Director and General Manager and approved by the Board.
• Authorizes production purchasing while maintaining budget controls on designated accounts including the rental and/or disposal of production material and equipment.
• Maintains production and facility inventory records.
• Informs the MTYP Accountant, on a weekly basis, of all production expenses to assist in MTYP’s ability to maintain an adequate cash flow
• Works closely within the senior management team to fully realize revenue goals, particularly in the area of facility rentals.
• Supervises, supports and delegates functions to the Associate Production Manager towards the efficient pursuit of production department objectives
• Assesses, defines and organizes production department and facility personnel requirements in consultation with the Artistic Director and General Manager.
• Oversees recruitment for production department personnel and the maintenance of correspondence files; interviews applicants for available positions or delegates same to department heads
• Hires, supervises and coordinates all casual technical crews in co-operation with the Technical Director
• Sets, manages and communicates the schedules and responsibilities of all production department staff; ensures schedule development and communication for IATSE Local 63 staff members is in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement
• Supervises technical and dress rehearsals unless delegated to the Associate Production Manager
• Engages designers, as directed by the Artistic Director, including negotiating fees and issuing contracts for signing by the General Manager
• Engages stage management personnel, in consultation with the Artistic Director, including negotiating fees and issuing contracts for signing by the General Manager
• Conducts regularly-scheduled production meetings to trouble-shoot and coordinate the resolution of concerns of designers, composers, directors, stage managers, production staff, the Artistic Director and directors/creative artists involved in the MTYP School, including post-mortem meetings on all projects
• Participates in or directly conducts performance evaluations for production department personnel in consultation with the Artistic Director.
• Other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Artistic Director and General Manager.
To be successful in this role, candidates should be highly organized, have strong written and verbal communication skills, work well with moderate levels of supervision and appreciate opportunities for collaboration with fellow team members. Additional required qualifications include:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in production management including demonstrated experience related to the planning, costing including proficiency with budgeting in all production areas, financial tracking and the supervision of theatrical production personnel and execution of theatrical requirements.
• Extensive knowledge of staging and production techniques, and theatre equipment including lighting, sound and video.
• Knowledge of CTA and ADC agreements and experience in the execution of documentation required to fulfil.
• Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and legislation.
• Experience working in a unionized environment is an asset.
• Ability to produce high-quality work on a deadline and comfortable managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively and analytically.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs
• Works effectively both independently and in a team environment.
• Post-secondary education in theatre production or equivalent training.
Standard hours are 9 am – 5 pm however earlier morning, evening and weekend work is required throughout the season.
We are anticipating a start date for the successful candidate of August 20, 2018.
Salary: $45,000 - $53,000 salary, dependent on experience.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a résumé, cover letter/letter of interest and three references no later than June 29, 2018 to:
Manitoba Theatre for Young People Employer Profile
Manitoba Theatre for Young People is a professional theatre company devoted to children and young adults. Our home, a venue built specifically for young audiences, is a recognized centre for the creation of theatre and participation in the arts. We produce and present professinal theatre, provide training in theatre and related arts, and support the development of new and re-imagined works that portray the experiences of children and youth.
MTYP empowers all young people to transform the world with imagination and creativity.