This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
Reports to: Director of Production (Management)
Function: To ensure the smooth operation of the technical aspects of all productions and related activities mounted or presented at the Theatres and to oversee the maintenance and all activities at the Hamilton Family Theatre, Cambridge including the rehearsal halls.
Duties and Responsibilities shall include but not be limited to:
• In conjunction with Management, organizing, scheduling and allocating resources for all Production related activities
• Supervising when necessary, all production personnel, including Technical Directors, technicians, painters, and Production Department Heads
• Continually liaising with Management, Administration, and Artistic teams to ensure the smooth operation of the production department as it relates to the operation of the organization
• Ensuring the creation of accurate ground plans and fly schedules for all productions
• Coordinating the flow of information among artistic, administrative, and production staff.
• In conjunction with Management, over-seeing the scheduling of all set-up and strike crews.
• Implement, oversee and co-ordinate the technical schedule in consultation with Management and Stage Management.
• Assist with tracking all Production Department spending and generating reports as required.
• In conjunction with Management and the Human Resource Department, overseeing personnel files including letters of agreement, training and employee information.
• Liaising with designers, directors and technical directors throughout the design process to ensure optimum use of facilities, equipment, budgets and time.
• Scheduling and acting as chairperson at production meetings when required
• Overseeing and organizing the shipping of all production materials, including lumber, props, paint, supplies, and when applicable, sets and rented materials
• Organizing and when applicable overseeing, all set-ups and strikes, lighting hangs, and focus sessions in conjunction with the Technical Directors.
• Overseeing and organizing the maintenance of production equipment allocated to the Hamilton Family Theatre.
• Ensuring that all rehearsal halls are cleaned and prepared prior to use for productions.
• Ensuring that any rentals at the Hamilton Family Theatre have the proper production support and staffing and working rental events as required.
• Assisting with special events as required.
• Maintaining a positive working relationship with all other departments.
• Maintaining a clean, safe, and secure working environment including the safe working environment in halls, shops, and other work areas.
• Helping Management with assessing and implementing any training requirements within the production department
• Reporting any accidents/incidents to the Director of Production.
• Continually evaluating current practices within the department as they relate to industry standards, technology and safety
• Forwarding requests for production purchases to Management for authorization.
• Helping Management with the implementation of co-operative education programs within the production department
• Upholding the professional image and name of the Theatre in good faith during all dealings with staff, guest artists, the public, suppliers and other theatre companies.
• Abiding by, and implementing all company policies as outlined in the company’s Human Resource Policy Manual
• Perform other duties as assigned by Management
University or college degree in theatre production, or equivalent experience
• 3 years’ experience in a management position at a Theatre company or scene shop.
• Ability to read, interpret and produce technical drawings in AutoCAD
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs
• An understanding of current production and technical practices within theatre including sound, lighting, video projection and set construction
• Experience managing diverse crew members in a theatre production environment
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Valid G license
Salary: $45-60,000 annual
Start: This position is scheduled to commence as soon as possible, at the mutual convenience of the successful candidate and Drayton Entertainment. This position is based in Cambridge, Ontario.
For confidential information, candidates should respond by January 21st, in writing to:
Jeff Johnston Collins
Director of Production
46 Grand Ave. S., Cambridge, ON N1S 2L8
Drayton Entertainment is a registered, not-for-profit charitable organization and one of Canada's most successful professional theatre companies. We present the finest in live theatre for all ages at seven unique venues across Ontario: the Drayton Festival Theatre in Drayton, Huron Country Playhouse and Playhouse II in Grand Bend, King's Wharf Theatre in Penetanguishene, St. Jacobs Country Playhouse and the Schoolhouse Theatre in St. Jacobs, and the Hamilton Family Theatre Cambridge.