This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The Interim Technical Director Mystery Series (TD) is responsible for overseeing all technical elements for productions produced and/or presented by the Society for Vertigo Mystery Theatre.
The Interim Technical Director is a member of the Production Department and is supervised by and reports to the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager. This position works closely with all members of the Production Department and (1) directly supervises Technicians working in The Playhouse for set-ups, lighting hang/focus/level setting, sound installation/level setting, and strikes as well as in The Studio when required, (2) supervises carpenter and build of set, providing working construction drawings, (3) establishes and maintains safety policies, and (4) is responsible for venue maintenance and upkeep.
This is a full-time 6-month contract position.
The individual in this position shall possess superior interpersonal, project management, supervisory, technical drawing and technical skills in lighting, sound, sound recording and special effects. The individual in this position shall possess a valid driver’s license. In fulfilling the position’s Core Responsibilities & Duties, the Society expects the Interim Technical Director to:
• Maintain a high quality of workmanship, achieving the attention to detail that the Theatre requires
• Work toward achieving established goals
• Ensure the safety of the workplace by helping to establish and then adhering to all health, security and safety policies and procedures
• Ensure the safety of performers, creative artists, staff and casual labour working at Vertigo Theatre by taking responsibility for all special effects, equipment and rigging
• Adhere to all budget guidelines as determined by the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
Vertigo Theatre encourages a team-oriented environment. All personnel are required to participate in a wide range of activities or take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside of the Core Responsibilities & Duties for each position.
SPECIFIC TO PRODUCTIONS PRODUCED BY VERTIGO THEATRE:
1. Work with the Sound and Lighting Designers to realize their designs in conjunction with the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager and Directors, trouble-shooting designs for effectiveness, efficiency, cost and safety.
2. Work with the Set and Props Designers to realize their designs in conjunction with the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager and Directors, trouble-shooting designs for effectiveness, efficiency, cost and safety.
3. Cost out designs for lighting and sound to determine whether presented designs are feasible based on time, staffing and budget. Make recommendations to Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager and Designers.
4. Cost out designs for sets and props to determine whether presented designs are feasible based on time, staffing and budget, in conjunction with the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager. Make recommendations to Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager and Designers.
5. Create technical drawings using Vectorworks for construction of sets and hard props for the carpenter to build off of.
6. Research, source and order the best equipment to be used to realize designs, working within the existing purchase order/credit card/petty cash system, as approved by the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
7. In the absence of the Sound or Lighting Designers, make design-related decisions that are necessary to either meet deadlines or other requirements of the Production Department but only within the realm of pre-discussed design choices and in consultation with the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
8. Build or oversee the build of any special effects and electrical devices, ensuring that they are safe and ensuring that any personnel required to work with them know how to do so safely.
9. Oversee the installation, dressing, and painting of sets and props.
10. Coordinate and oversee scheduling of the appropriate staff for the operation of the sound and lighting boards for all level-setting sessions, technical rehearsals and performances. Make repairs to sets and props during performance runs; delegating to the applicable House Technician as is necessary.
11. Attend technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals, first preview and selected previews thereafter. In instances when the work is either a new script or is intended to change on performance basis, the Interim Technical Director shall be required to attend all Previews.
12. Responsible for the show operation of all performances and events and will oversee the operators and operation from rehearsal through strike, and will, at all times, be prepared to assume operation personally; being on call 1 1/2 hours prior to each performance.
13. Ensure all rented or borrowed sets, props, costumes and/or other equipment is returned quickly and efficiently and that all that is owned by the Society is properly returned to storage immediately following the close of each production.
14. Maintain all drawings and working instrument lists for productions.
15. Supervise load-ins, set-ups and strikes. Arrange for delivery of production elements.
16. Coordinate set-up of rehearsal space.
17. Maintain detailed and up-to-date inventory lists as well as the operation and maintenance of all theatre systems and inventories as detailed below:
• Dimming/control/circuiting systems
• Riser stock and associated hardware
• Sound system
• Stage floors
• Lighting instrument inventory.
18. Operation and maintenance of the shop area and its inventories including:
• Power tools
• Hand tools
• Paint supplies
• Hardware stock
• Lumber stock
• Electrical stock
• Maintain detailed and up-to-date inventory of materials storage.
THEATRICAL EQUIPMENT AND STORAGE:
19. Be highly knowledgeable of the Society’s equipment, orienting and/or training Technicians in the correct and optimum use of the equipment.
20. Perform minor repairs to Society’s equipment and tools including lighting and special effect equipment and sound systems including program sound and outputs in the houses and in the lobby, or if repairs need to be sent out, have equipment sent out in a timely manner
21. Schedule maintenance of sound and lighting equipment (including the intercom and hearing assist systems).
22. Oversee the maintenance of props, tools and wardrobe storage rooms. Maintain storage warehouse.
23. Supervise all crews for technical work in The Playhouse (i.e. lighting hangs, sound installations, set-ups and strikes).
24. Submit invoices, credit card receipts, cash vouchers and casual labour time sheets to the Interim Production & Facility Manager on a timely basis.
25. Adhere to all schedules and deadlines as determined by Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
26. Ensure the Production Department van is maintained on a regular basis.
27. The Production Department as a whole is responsible for facility maintenance. This can include: bottle pick-ups, plumbing (including toilet malfunctions), refrigeration and other bar appliances, paint touch-ups, door issues and repairs.
28. Other responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned by the Interim Production & Facility Manager Facility Manager.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disability.
Salary: Compensation $750 - $850 plus vacation per week based on experience. Extended Health and Dental plan after 3 months with cost shared between employee and employer.
Rose Brow, Executive Director