This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the House Technician is responsible for the technical operations at StoryBook Theatre. The Technician will act as the primary liaison with clients for the duration of their rental period, and will be responsible for the technical components and crew requirements of rentals and special events in the theatre. The House Technician will be responsible for the general upkeep, maintenance and safety of the stage, back of house, and lighting and sound equipment.
StoryBook Theatre is a team-oriented environment. Personnel may be asked to take on additional responsibilities from time to time that may be outside the core responsibilities of this position. Core responsibilities for this position include but may not be limited to the following:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversee and operate House equipment for all productions and events occurring in the theatre and facility
• Supervise and assist in all load-in’s and strikes
• Troubleshoot and solve minor problems that may arise during technical rehearsals, set up, and performances
• Undertakes the hanging, rigging, patching, testing, focusing, and programming required for lighting, sound, AV, other event/production needs
• Ensure the safe and appropriate rigging of all equipment including but not limited to lighting, AV, sound gear, draperies, etc
• Maintain a clean, safe work environment for staff, artists and patrons, and ensure tenants are operating safely as per health and safety, fire regulations, and other protocols
• Liaising with theatre crews
• Works collaboratively with colleagues to ensure best delivery of customer/client experience, consistency in program offerings etc.
• Presenting a professional image of the Theatre when working with patrons and rental groups
• To assist with overall Theatre maintenance as required
• Maintaining inventories of tools, props, costumes and building materials
• Ensuring the Theatre is clean and reset for each new rental
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
– A high degree of knowledge and practical experience with theatre lighting and sound equipment
– Experience with programming and operation of ETC ion lighting board, and Qlab
– Experience in live sound mixing
– Experience with Yamaha Ls9 digital mixer
– Self motivated and able to work independently
– Take initiative and be able to supervise others
– A productive and positive attitude
– A valid drivers license
– Pyrotechnics and/or Firearms license an asset
– Must be willing to submit to a Police Information Check
HOURS OF OPERATION
Hours are dependant on theatre venue rentals, but many evening and weekend hours will be required. Applicants must have a flexible schedule and be willing to work evenings, weekends and holidays
• The House Technician position requires moderate lifting, repetitive movements, and extended periods of standing, bending, walking, and climbing of stairs. This position also requires working at height (no catwalk) for rigging, hanging, and focussing equipment from the scissor lift, or ladder.
• All applications MUST be submitted online at: www.storybooktheatre.org/job-postings
• Applications will remain open until the position has been filled. We thank you for your interest, but only successful candidates will be contacted.
• StoryBook Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
403-216-0808 ext 2
WHO ARE WE?
StoryBook Theatre is one of Canada's largest Theatres for Young Audiences. We have been delighting children of all ages for over 40 years. StoryBook has become the bridge between the professional and emerging artists to grow and collaborate and further one another's aspirations all while creating quality family entertainment.