This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
Summary of Role:
Working closely with Costume Designer, the Head of Wardrobe is responsible for sourcing fabric and elements for costumes based on costume designs. This role will involve a lot of shopping and working closely with the Costume Designer to source costumes online. The Head of Wardrobe will have a strong knowledge of theatrical wardrobe design and seamstress experience.
Job Duties/ Description:
• Source fabric and costume pieces as directed by Costume Designer.
• Measuring cast and arranging fittings.
• Do minor alterations during fittings or when costumes arrive.
• Ensuring everything is moving forward for all the specialty / in-house costume elements.
• To carry out all running repairs on costumes as required.
• To attend technical and dress rehearsals to ensure awareness of all costume requirements and any resulting changes, and to attend production meetings as required.
• Attend all production meetings.
• Attend all rehearsals and performances.
• Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, optimistic and have worked in a dynamic environment where they have experience delivering on multiple priorities and will hold the following qualifications:
• Excellent sewing skills and a working knowledge of theatre costume.
• Flexible and self-motivated with the ability to work well with others and to work calmly under pressure.
• Ability to supervise and motivate personnel.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision and adapt work in accordance with performance requirements.
• Good communication and organizational skills.
• Enthusiastic, highly motivated with an excellent work ethic.
• Strong Communication skills.
• Personable and comfortable in large crowds.
• The role may involve manual labour.
• Actively cooperate with all Calgary Stampede staff and volunteers.
• Conform to all policies and procedures of the Calgary Stampede, especially those relating to safety and security.
• Agree to a police background check.
Department: Calgary Stampede - Grandstand Show
Employment Term: Limited/ Seasonal: March 2 – July 31, 2015
Reports to: Grandstand Show Costume Designer
Supervises: Costume Cutter/ Stitchers
Salary: Negotiable based on experience
Grandstand Show Coordinator
The Calgary Stampede is a not-for-profit community organization that preserves and celebrate our western heritage, cultures and community spirit. The Stampede contributes to the quality of life by promoting volunteerism, presenting a year-round slate of events, investing in youth and agricultural programs, and developing a unique western experience for the world to enjoy. Since its debut, the TransAlta Grandstand Show has entertained and amazed audiences from around the world. From humble beginnings the production has grown in size and scope, incorporating amazing technology, the world’s best music, spectacular stunts, a world-class fireworks display, jaw-dropping pyrotechnics and stunning sets. The production team and cast of the Grandstand Show comprises of more than 140 performing artists, administrative staff, technicians and venue personnel over the course of each year with over 150,000 patrons attending the shows annually.