This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is currently accepting applications for the Head Set/Props Build Team for the summer of 2014. The contract would run from May 5th to Aug 1st, 2014.
Part of the Set/Props Build team which consists of: Head Set/Props Build Team, Carps Assistant, Props Assistant, Armoury Supervisor/Props Assistant and Production Volunteers.
Head of Set/Props Build Team - Duties include but not limited to:
• Responsible for the building of set and prop elements for the production.
• Work with the Set/props Designer, Production Manager and Technical Director to build set/props design elements.
• Oversee completion of all set/prop design elements for the production, manage builders in all areas, including wood, metal, paint, foam, drapes and others.
• Assists in costing, budgeting and scheduling the project builds.
• Expedites projects within scheduled deadlines and reports to the Production Manager on a regular basis as to the status of the project budget and schedule.
• Supervise and work closely with the whole Build Team, and other artists, to oversee and coordinate the construction and effective completion of projects.
• Supervise and maintain the workshop and production worksites and to keep them safe and clean.
• Responsible for, the procurement or production of, inventory, care and maintenance of all props/set pieces associated with the production.
• Interpret technical and design drawings produced for the production into new built and installed set/prop elements for use by performers and Directors.
• Repair and/or rebuild existing set/props pieces from the production as necessary.
• Draw up complete set/props piece lists for the production and liaise with the Stage Management team to set up and label the properties lockers, tables, and shelves, which are used during production.
• Source and purchase set/props that can not, or should not, be built for the production in house.
• Must be aware of the requirements of the health and safety legislation and procedures relevant to their role and be responsible for expressing any safety concerns that are observed and assisting to rectify them
• Continuously take into consideration the props/set pieces from the script, rehearsal notes or assigned by the Designer and help to ensure that they are available on time, and within budgetary requirements.
• Other duties as assigned by Production Manager for the smooth operation of the set/props department.
• Lead and participate as the Build Team shifts into being the Running Crew for the Show.
• Responsible for the operation and movement of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Pre-setting, show setting and striking of Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• ‘On the Fly’ repairs and assistance for problems pertaining to Stage, Set, props and FX pieces during the run of the show.
• Rigging and operation of Stage, Set and FX pieces, plus (once trained) Human load rigging during the run of the show.
The role may involve significant manual labour and can be physically demanding
Any interested applicants are encouraged to email a resume and cover letter Attention to Mr. Justin Born, Production Manager no later than March 10th, 2014.
The Canadian Badlands Passion Play is one of Canada's largest outdoor theatrical events. Now in its 21st season. The company annually depicts the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ in dramatic form. It is an epic story told on an epic scale, this year's production features a creative retelling of the Gospel of John. The script will be performed by a mixed professional/volunteer cast of approximately 200 actors in a 2700-seat outdoor amphitheatre.