This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Production
Reports to: Production Manager
Tarragon Theatre is seeking to cover a maternity leave for the Head of Props for the end of the 2018/2019 season and the beginning of the 2019/2020 season. This position requires a self-motivated individual to exercise sound judgment, to communicate with other departments, and to focus on props building, purchasing, alteration and maintenance. The position requires managing relationships and balancing responsibilities and time in a manner that is best for the company.
• Responsible for the construction, sourcing, purchasing, alterations and maintenance of props for all Mainspace and Extraspace productions
• Attend design meetings as necessary
• Attend weekly production meetings and weekly production department meetings
• Interpret prop designs and work with designers to create appropriate props for each production
• Prepare prop cost estimates from designs to present to the Production Manager, Technical Director and designer
• Track props budgets per show; reconcile petty cash and credit card purchases in a timely manner
• Work in tandem with the Head of Scenic Paint and Assistant Head of Props
• Liaise with Stage Management in order to respond to rehearsal and show notes
• Provide assistance or consultation for Head of Wardrobe and Head Carpenter on any props requiring the use of the Carpenter shop or Wardrobe shop.
• Participate in technical and dress rehearsals, photo/media calls, and previews as deemed necessary by the Production Manager and Technical Director
• Provide suitable and reasonable rehearsal props for use in the rehearsal hall
• Archive all props materials from each production
• Attend all Tarragon Opening Night parties
• Maintain prop shop tools, equipment and materials stock; order supplies as necessary
• Work with Head of Scenic Paint to maintain paint shop tools, equipment and materials stock; order supplies as necessary
• Maintain a clean, safe and efficient working environment and an organized and well-functioning materials storage area
• Work in conjunction with Tarragon Staff to ensure that all Tarragon events have the necessary prop support
• Adhere to Tarragon’s Health & Safety policies and company policies
• Completion of post-secondary theatre production/technical theatre program
• Minimum 3 years as Head of Props at a comparable theatre or company
• have experience with props building
• have experience with soldering
• have knowledge of different adhesive and paint
• have the ability to work independently
• be comfortable working with and directing assistants
• have excellent communication skills and be highly organized
• Knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety legislation
• Ability to think critically and problem solve
• Ability to take an initiative
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as required (occasional)
• Have a flexible and adaptable personality
• Possess a strong work ethic and attention to detail
Applications should include a cover letter and resume.
The deadline for applications is 5 pm Friday, September 21, 2018. This Contract will start in January 2019 and go until end of April 2019. This contract could also be renewed from mid -August to end of December 2019.
Carla Ritchie, Production Manager
Tarragon is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected mid-sized theatres and is a leader in the field of new Canadian plays. We are dedicated to discovering and mentoring artists who tell Canadian stories. Tarragon believes in equal opportunities in the arts for everyone. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
For more information about the theatre, please visit our website at www.tarragontheatre.com.