This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Production
The Head of Properties is a permanent position. The Grand Theatre’s prop shop works under the jurisdiction of IATSE Local 828. The Grand Theatre’s prop shop is generally in operation from July – March/April with a summer shut down. The Head of Props is responsible to the Production Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
• supervision of one Senior Builder/Buyer as well as any extra builders hired on a show-by-show basis. An Apprentice Props Builder is often part of the Props team.
• building and buying as needed
• construction/purchasing and finding of all props within the limitations of schedule and budgets.
• generating pre-production props lists, researching materials and periods.
• supporting the rehearsal hall with rehearsal props, furniture and set facsimiles when necessary
• ordering materials and ensuring that an adequate inventory is maintained.
• ensuring that all equipment in the prop shop is maintained and safe.
• collaborating with designers, directors and all production departments in realizing the props and attends all production meetings.
• responsibility for the strike and return of all props, whether rented or built.
• responsibility for the maintenance and inventory of props in our storage space.
The successful candidate will have five or more years of professional work experience in a shop/theatre environment as a Senior Builder and preferably with supervisory experience. The candidate will enjoy collaborating with designers, directors, other heads of department, stage management, technical management and actors. The candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of theatrical building practices in soft goods, paper, wood, metal and of traditional and new materials. The candidate will have an interest in mentoring and teaching possible apprentices as well as high school students. The candidate will be a problem solver, creative thinker and will have the ability to work in a team environment. The candidate should be a member in good standing with I.A.T.S.E. or be willing to join Local 828. The candidate will have a valid driver’s licence.
The Grand Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Please respond (by e-mail or mail) with a cover letter and resume by April 5, 2013
Salary: IATSE Local 828 Contract negotiated rate
471 Richmond St.
London, Ontario N6A 3E4
Tel : 519-672-9030 X257 Fax: 519-672-2620 e-mail:
The Grand Theatre
The Grand Theatre in London, Ontario, is a regional A house professional theatre with an 839-seat MainStage and a 150-seat second McManus Stage. The Grand Theatre is operational year round and produces a winter subscription series on the MainStage from September to May and concurrent presentations for youth and adults in the McManus.