This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Employment Dates for the 2015/2016 season are August 24th, 2015 to June 5th, 2016.
Working as an integral member of the production team of Neptune Theatre, the Head of Staging/Flyman will provide efficient and reliable preparation, operation, and maintenance of all stage machinery, rigging, scenery and management of labour resources within the established budgets and schedules for his or her department. The Head of Staging/Flyman will ensure a safe and clean work environment on stage.
This is a full time seasonal position, hired in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between IATSE 680 and Neptune Theatre Foundation.
Please note that applicants do not have to be members of IATSE to apply.
Specific Job Functions
- Reports to the Technical Director and Production Manager in matters of equipment, scheduling, staffing requirements, and show preparation.
- Works with the Technical Director and the design team to answer any questions and to assist with costing preliminary designs.
- Collaborates with the Stage Manager with regard to rehearsals and performances.
- Read all scripts for Neptune productions prior to the first day of rehearsals, and to attend rehearsals as scheduled.
- Consults with other members of the production team, to maintain the technical and artistic integrity of all Neptune productions.
- Coordinates and/or supervises the set-up and operation of all scenic elements and rigging for Neptune productions, rentals, or other events in the Neptune Theatre complex or other venues owned or leased by Neptune, as assigned by the theatre.
- Attends production meetings, staff meetings, technical rehearsals, and note sessions as scheduled.
- Assists the shop carpenters in planning and construction of scenic elements and rigging for Neptune productions as scheduled.
- Serves as running crew for Neptune productions, special events, or rentals as assigned by the theatre.
- Coordinates rigging and stage needs for all Neptune productions, special events and rentals as assigned by the theatre.
- Tracks rigging inventory and maintains accurate records in regard to storage, use, safety and maintenance of rigging equipment. Contributes to the overall production archive.
- Inspects and maintains all stage equipment and tools.
- Maintains the stage and storage areas in a clean and safe manner.
- Coordinates and/or supervises stage crews during installation, as assigned by the theatre.
- Advises the Technical Director of items that will require the release of additional funds, personnel, or special tools to complete.
- Is responsible for all budgets, keys, and petty cash supplied by Neptune Theatre for staging activities.
- Is responsible for any other reasonable and lawful duties within their jurisdiction.
- Assists and advises on all pyro effects, completes all pyro paperwork and tracks pyro inventory.
- Is responsible for all firearms used during show runs.
The ideal Head of Staging/Flyman is a responsible, detailed orientated individual,who is conscious at all times of safety and the well-being of his or her crew. This individual demonstrates attention to detail, and a willingness to collaborate with other team members in the resolution of production challenges.
The Head of Staging/Flyman is a knowledgeable team player who is alert to opportunities for improving the set up and staging of scenic elements, and who is able to communicate challenges and opportunities in a concise, timely manner to senior management.
Additional skills that would be an asset to this position are: pneumatics (the use of stage castors, brakes and actuators), high angle rescue, scenic carpentry, and scenic art.