This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
• Responsible for hanging and focusing the lighting plots
• Will supervise the crew during the Lx hang, and focus
• Program lighting cues into the ETC ION,ETC Insight, and Express lighting consoles
• Supervise, strike of theatrical lighting and equipment and restore of House Hang
• During Technical rehearsals and performances, the Head Electrician may be required to:
Move, re-focus, re-patch and otherwise operate theatrical lighting instruments, practicals and electrical equipment on or about the Stage as require for production.
• Operate the House lights and lighting console(s) as required
• Ensuring that all lighting equipment is setup in a safe manner and adheres to professional standards
• Ensuring that all lighting equipment is setup according to the Lighting Designer’s vision and maintained throughout the run of a given production, presentation, event or rental
• Consults with Designer, TD and/or PM to determine use of circuits for lighting plots
• This position is responsible for all aspects of lighting and lighting systems.
• Perform maintenance on theatrical lighting system and electrical equipment
• Setup and dismantling of lighting equipment for House hang and lighting designs
• Operating lighting systems and related equipment as directed for performances and rehearsals
• Inspect and maintain all lighting equipment, systems and accessories throughout the season.
• May also include set up and running of video projection equipment, when required.
• Assist other Departments with setup, strike and restore of all show equipment including set, props, rigging, projections, and audio
• Maintaining a safe working environment at all times by adhering to Gateway Theatre Society, Worksafe and Actsafe safety policies and procedures
• Report all accidents/incidents immediately to the Production Manager, Technical Director and/or designated staff member
• Help in maintaining cleanliness of the Theatre work and performing spaces.
• Carry out additional theatre related tasks requested by the Production Manager and/or Technical Director which may be considered outside the scope of lighting activities
• Abide by all company rules and bylaws as detailed in the Societies policies and procedures handbook.
• Ensure that internal communications are performed in a proficient and effective manner and contribute to the overall efficiency of the technical team
• Extensive knowledge of lighting control systems, lighting hardware, equipment and is familiar with lighting design techniques.
• Experience reading lighting plots and associated paperwork.
• A thorough understanding and working knowledge of DMX control and universes including but not limited to: scrollers, I-cue mirrors, gobo rotators and other electrical effects. LED and moving light experience an asset.
• Knowledge of chain motors and rigging techniques is an asset
• The ability to work within the confines of the production schedule and meet deadlines.
• The ability to work well under pressure.
• Good communication skills
• A passion for theatre and the performing arts an asset.
• Five (5) years’ experience in lighting professional theatre.
• Proficient skills in programming and operation of ION, ETC, Insight, Express and other lighting boards.
• Able to work at heights.
Reports to and is under the direct supervision of the Production Manager, the HE will work closely with the Technical Directors and Lighting Designers during set up, run and strike of Gateway theatre productions, events and rentals.
This is a seasonal position and employment is dictated by the requirements of the Gateway Theatre’s; Productions, Events, Presentations, and Rentals schedules. This is a unionized position and the HE will work under the Collective Agreement between Richmond Gateway Theatre and I.A.T.S.E.118.
Salary: $24.90/ hr
Gateway Theatre is Richmond’s only professional theatre company, producing a Signature Series of four shows on the Main Stage plus two Studio productions, and the Pacific Festival (Chinese-language theatre productions). Gateway also houses a play development program, year-round Academy classes for youth, theatre rentals, and community outreach programs.