This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
JOB DESCRIPTIONS/DUTIES:Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
• Reports directly to the Production Manager and Technical Director in matters of equipment, scheduling, staffing requirements, pre-production, set-up, run, strike/restore and maintenance.
• Consults with the TD, Stage Manager, Production Department Heads, Designers and Directors with regards to Technical rehearsals and notes and performances in order to maintain the artistic integrity of the productions.
• Oversee and takes the lead in supervising Gateway Mainstage production Crews of 5 - 7 IATSE 118 technicians.
• Ensures that all shop tools and hand tools and theatrical equipment, including rigging hardware and soft goods are functional and properly maintained for the duration of each production.
• Coordinate and supervise the set-up and operations of all scenic elements and rigging for all productions
• Prepares and ensures that all paperwork is submitted to payroll on behalf of the Crew which includes; T-4’s, timesheets, tracking hours, notes and daily tech reports for all crew are accurate and submitted on time.
• Assists the Scenic carpenters in preparation and planning of scenic elements for load in, installation and are maintained throughout the Run
• Inspect and maintain all stage equipment and tools.
• Coordinating and supervise the set-up, run, and strike/restore of productions, events, presentations and rentals.
• Assist other Departments with setup, strike and restore of show equipment including set, props, rigging, projections, lighting and sound.
• Maintaining a safe working environment at all times by adhering to Gateway Theatre Society, Worksafe and Actsafe safety policies and procedures
• Provide a safe & clean work environment onstage, backstage, shop and storage areas for technicians, staff and performers alike.
• Serve as HC on the running crew which includes; scenery movement and flying elements as required.
• Create and maintain complete and accurate show records including: equipment tracking and inventory, show running paperwork, detail drawings, shop and equipment orders, cue sheets etc.
• Assist and advice set up and maintenance on all pyrotechnics, pneumatics, automation, scenic carpentry and special effects throughout the production.
• Ensure all pertinent Gateway Theatre Society and union policies and agreements are understood and implemented.
• Report all accidents and incidents immediately to the Production Manager or Technical Director.
• A theatrical diploma or certificate of graduation from a recognized technical and/or Design training institute or equivalent in work experience.
• Experience in Theatrical Stage Carpentry is required along with knowledge of current theatrical technology and professional work standards.
• Knowledge of Rigging (required), Lighting, Sound and projection equipment and safety standards an asset.
• An ability to work well in a team atmosphere and posses strong cooperative leadership skills.
• Be comfortable working independently.
• Possess strong desire to hone existing skills and a willingness to learn new ones.
• Be highly resourceful and possess efficient problem solving and time management skills.
• Demonstrate strong writing, mathematical, analytical and communication skills.
• Ability to read technical drawings.
• Possession of a valid Pyro technician license, FAC, First-aid, and CPR is an asset.
• Five (5) years’ experience in carpentry for professional theatre.
• Valid class 5 drivers license and comfortable driving cargo van.
• Experience supervising a crew.
• Comfortable working at heights.
Reports to and is under the direct supervision of the Production Manager. The HC will work closely with the Technical Directors and the Designers during set up, run and strike of Gateway theatre productions, events and rentals.
This is a seasonal position and employment is dictated by the requirements of the Gateway Theatre’s; Productions, Events, Presentations, and Rentals schedules. This is a unionized position and the HC will work under the Collective Agreement between Richmond Gateway Theatre and I.A.T.S.E.118.
Salary: $25.70/ hr
Gateway Theatre is Richmond’s only professional theatre company, producing a Signature Series of four shows on the Main Stage plus two Studio productions, and the Pacific Festival (Chinese-language theatre productions). Gateway also houses a play development program, year-round Academy classes for youth, theatre rentals, and community outreach programs.