This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Other
This is a full-time, termed position from June 12 to July 31, 2017.
Performing Arts at Banff Centre is looking for an experienced First Hand (Theatre Practitioner Level 3) to join their high-functioning team as additional support during the Banff Summer Arts Festival. Reporting to the Head of Wardrobe, the First Hand will assist in developing and implementing specific training programs around wardrobe construction and maintenance to help maintain Banff Centre as a leading international site for cultural development and artistic continuing education.
- Overseeing the work of the Levels 1 and 2 Wardrobe Technicians and Wardrobe Technician Practicum Participants.
- Assisting in the administration of the wardrobe department including overseeing the safety of assigned crews within the supplied frameworks of budget, staffing, equipment, space, and time.
- Staying current on related industry trends including the application of up-to-date techniques and use of special materials
- Applying professional theatre techniques and methods to provide the quality, efficiency, and support level required by Performing Arts
Possesses at minimum, the equivalent of 5 years’ full-time experience as a working First Hand in a professional theatre, opera, or dance company.
Able to perform satisfactorily all of the major job functions listed below without assistance and/or supervision:
- Interpret design
- Create patterns
- Fabricate textiles
- Decorate fabrics
- Cut and sew materials
- Tailor and maintain costumes
- Build costumes using specialty construction techniques
- Create/supply headgear, footwear, accessories, jewelry
- Operate tools and equipment
- Manage a wardrobe shop
The responsibilities of this position require the First Hand to be available to work a flexible, rotating schedule.
The job description for this position is currently under review.
In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, termed, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500-hour probation period.
The Centre offers on-the-job training, a supportive work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free or reduced admission to many Banff Centre concerts, films, lectures, and exhibitions.
Salary: between $21.66 and $24.08 per hour, depending on experience
We are currently accepting applications until a suitable candidate has been identified.
Submit your resume and cover letter online via Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity careers website at www.banffcentre.ca/careers.
Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.