This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Production
The Festival Production Manager provides leadership and management in all areas of production for the 2017 Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival (March 1 – 12, 2017). The Festival
performances take place at The Theatre Centre, Comedy Bar, Randolph Theatre and other venues to be confirmed
1. Production Needs Assessment - assessing the production needs of various festival shows and performers, reviewing venue contracts and liaison with venue Production Managers and Technical Directors, and inventorying TOsketchfest’s production resources.
2. Production Scheduling - creating the Festival’s technical rehearsal schedule, creating master production
schedule and timelines, creating load-in and strike schedules, building, maintaining and troubleshooting the daily schedules during the Festival.
3.Production Budgeting and Procurement - managing the total production budget as assigned by the Executive Director (HR, rentals, purchases, and venue-related costs), costing the technical rehearsal and performance schedule, sourcing/costing and acquiring production rentals and purchases.
4. Human Resources Management - hiring and contracting Stage Management and Production Assistant staff, preparing paperwork and training materials for production staff, delivering training sessions, supervising Stage Management and Production Assistants during the festival.
5. On-site during venue load-in and strike at 3-4 festival venues between February 27th and March 13th (on-site work includes supervision and hands-on work).
6.On-call throughout the festival dates to support Stage Management, Producers and Production Assistants.
7. Administration including participating in production me
etings with management staff, preparing final reports including detailed budget report, closing inventory of supplies, attending post-mortem meeting.
8.Stage Management – if the Production Manager is qualified to stage manage comedy shows, he/she may negotiate a separate and concurrent contract to provide services as
a Festival Stage Manager.
o Proven experience managing logistical elements of theatre/comedy events;
o Specific experience stage managing or producing sketch comedy/improvisation is an asset;
o Strong project management, communication, administration, organizational and planning skills;
o Proven supervisory and team management experience;
o Must be able to follow an agreed-upon work plan and work with confidence and independence;
o Proven ability to be resourceful and detail-oriented;
o Proven ability to manage budgets;
o A broad knowledge of theatrical production equipment and software (lighting, audio and video projection)is required.
o Experience and/or high learning agility with respect to project management software (Marcato, Google Apps, Microsoft Office suite etc.) required.
o Outside dates of the contract: December 1 2016
– March 30 2017
o The Production Manager (as an independent contractor) will manage his/her own schedule, meeting various agreed upon deadlines and deliverables.
o Evening and weekend work will be required. The Production Manager is expected to be on-site for key dates in the production schedule, and to be on-call to troubleshoot and support the Festival team throughout the Festival dates.
o The ability to lift and carry at least 20 lbs, and to do hands-on physical work.
Salary: Contract value $3000 - $3500 depending on experience
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
with PRODUCTION MANAGER in the subject line. In your cover letter, please help us understand why you are interested in this position specifically, and let us know something that made you laugh recently!
The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival encourages applications from members of equity-seeking groups.
The Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival is a two-week celebration of the best live, scripted comedy in North America. The festival features performances by 50+ comedy ensembles ranging from emerging troupes to celebrity talent. The 12th annual festival will take place March 1-12th 2017 at The Theatre Centre, Comedy Bar, and Randolph Theatre.