This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Other
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development and Communications Coordinator will be engaged in the development, implementation, management and evaluation of all fundraising and communications/marketing strategies and materials with a focus on supporting the planning and management of the annual giving program, outreach, special projects, signature AFC events and third-party events in conjunction with other key staff. The successful candidate will be adept at understanding and meeting the needs of a complex web of stakeholders and will have exceptional multi-tasking skills and the ability to provide rapid solutions as situations require. Some evening and weekend work required. Core competencies include: self-motivated, organized and results-oriented.
• Post-secondary education or equivalent in communications, marketing, fundraising and development and/or arts administration
• Two to three years’ experience working in communications and/or fundraising preferably with a non-profit and/or arts-related organization with proven success in that field
• Knowledge of communications and fundraising best practices
• Working knowledge of and/or keen interest in the Canadian arts and entertainment industry
• Compassionate, with ability to exercise good judgement, diplomacy and confidentiality
• Excellent grasp of written and verbal forms of communication with exceptional grammar and spelling ability in English
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and Access) on a PC system
• Proficiency with various forms of social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
• Experience in project management and/or event management
• Good graphic design skills and proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop etc.
• Experience working with the Raiser’s Edge software
• Experience managing websites with WordPress
• Professional experience in the entertainment industry (film, TV, music, theatre & dance)
• Experience working with NetCommunity
• Experience working in fundraising/fund development with a focus on mid-level, major gifts and/or planned giving
• Knowledge of video production/editing
• Knowledge of print production
• Experience managing staff and volunteers
• Donor relations experience with knowledge of the cultivation cycle
• Experience with SEO, Google AdWords and Google analytics
• Excellent grasp of written and verbal forms of communication in French
• Providing consistent and timely support, follow-up, leadership and coordination for fundraising and communications/marketing efforts, providing guidance to staff, volunteers and others as required
• Updating, executing and evaluating, in conjunction with key staff, an integrated communications and development plan
• Development and implementation of various communications and marketing projects
• Development, in conjunction with the Executive Director, all communications materials relating to the annual fundraising campaigns (direct mail, e-mail, social media etc.)
• Design and creation of print, multimedia and online communications and fundraising materials including press releases, newsletters, ads, fundraising campaigns etc.
• Maintenance of the organization’s web site (WordPress platform)
• Maintenance of the organization’s social media communications (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
• Managing, in conjunction with other key staff, signature AFC events such as the Big Swing Golf Tournament
• Promoting third-party fundraising events and enabling volunteers to produce successful third-party fundraising events with a specific focus on the theatre community
• Research and develop new avenues of fundraising, seek out new fundraising opportunities and work to strengthen existing fundraising programs (i.e. payroll donations etc.)
• Soliciting, managing and promoting AFC client success stories through visual/written testimonials
• Creating, producing and editing graphic and video content as required
• Assisting the Executive Director with corporate/organizational giving
• Public outreach: Giving workshops, outreach talks, staffing conference booths etc. as needed.
• Managing the Outreach Assistant and outreach efforts to young people
• Provide leadership for all staff using the Raiser’s Edge as the database administrator and accurately tracking all interaction and information regarding prospects and donors in the Raiser’s Edge
• Ensuring a consistent look and feel to The AFC brand and enforcing the brand identity guide
• Providing assistance to the Executive Director, other staff and Board Members as needed
• Other duties as required
Please study the position and the organization closely to ensure that your experience/passions are a great fit with our small team. To be considered, please clearly state how your experience and abilities match the requirements/assets of this position.
The AFC thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
Application: Please email your resume/CV, cover letter and persuasive writing sample to Rebecca Russell at by 5 p.m. on Wed., Aug. 3, 2016 with the subject line “Application for Development and Communications Coordinator – [insert your first and last name]” NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Work samples: All applicants are pleased asked to provide one persuasive writing sample i.e. a fundraising letter, sponsorship ask or other persuasive communication piece. You may also choose to provide one design sample in addition to the writing sample. Please note: those short-listed for the position may be asked to participate in a written skills exercise.
The AFC is the lifeline for Canada’s entertainment industry. Through compassionate and confidential support, The AFC helps Canadian entertainment professionals maintain their health, dignity and ability to work. The AFC is an expression of the community’s good will, helping entertainment professionals when they are at their most vulnerable due to injury, illness or other personal hardship. In the last 24 months, The AFC has distributed over $1 million in emergency financial aid to help entertainment professionals working in all aspects of film & TV, music, theatre and dance.