This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Technical
Applications are now being received for the above temporary contract position in the Recreation and Culture Services Department, Community and Fire Services Commission. You are encouraged to apply on-line at www.markham.ca
The role of the Backstage Technician Level III is to plan, schedule and ensure timely provision of lighting, costumes, props, sets, and sound elements to established show standards as per client specifications and City of Markham policies. This position provides the highest level of technical support in the production of larger and more complex performances at the Flato Markham Theatre and as such is responsible for overseeing, instructing and training Backstage Technicians Levels I and II. As the most experienced level of Backstage Technician, this position may be called upon to “back fill” for FT Theatre Technicians during absences.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
• Reviews the client contract and production schedule for each performance and the required, lighting, and/or special effects required by the client, timing and performances. Reviews instructions from Manager, Facility Production and/or more senior technical staff regarding each production and any special needs of client.
• Oversees and participates in the technical layout and design of lighting, through use of appropriate theatre techniques. Creates and implements special effects as outlined in the client contract.
• Meets with each client and reviews any special needs with respect to the production or a particular performance. Provides technical services, advice and expertise in the areas of lighting, and special effects for the clients of the Theatre and for events taking place at the Theatre. Ensures the client is content with the technical aspects of their show, and with the technical support being provided by the Markham Theatre.
• Meets with Backstage Technicians Levels I and II to review production requirements and assigns tasks. Checks all lighting set-up including the work completed by Backstage Technicians Levels I and II to ensure compliance with health and safety standards and City of Markham policies.
• Creates and programs effective lighting for simple to extremely complicated types of performances. Makes artistic decisions in regards to colour, angle, size, focus, etc. Sets-up lighting system for different usages including hanging and focusing 300 plus lights. Programs and operates moving lighting fixtures. Creates lighting looks for productions while the performance is in progress.
• Operates theatrical equipment including stage foggers/hazers, LCD projectors, followspots, curtains, winch pipes, pit lift. Program and operate manual and computerized lighting consoles
• Troubleshoots difficult problems during rehearsals and performances.
• After each production, counts, secures and signs off on all City of Markham, lighting, production equipment and supplies. Ensures that all equipment is functional and notifies the Manager, Facility Production of any required repairs, materials, tools and supplies.
• Ensures specific safety precautions are followed in the stage area prior to rehearsals and and/or performances when conditions are hazardous (i.e. crowded, dark, foggy, moving elements etc).
• Monitors client activity to ensure that Markham Theatre safety policies and procedures are followed and advises clients of any required changes. Notifies the Manager, Facility Production and/or more senior technical staff of any issues.
• Writes comprehensive notes in show report regarding the specific area of operation they are responsible for on any specific show.
• Assists with evacuation procedures in the event of a fire alarm or other emergency. This includes making announcements in the house for the audience and through the backstage areas for the performers and crew informing people to evacuate.
A two year Theatre Production diploma program or Cinema, Television, Stage and Radio Arts diploma program , Theatre Studies diploma program with a specialization in theatre technology (alternatively a high school diploma and at least 5 years of live theatre relevant work experience is required with specialized experienced in designing lighting programs for theatrical performances)
• Six months to 1 year of live theatre relevant work performing complex lighting, and special effects for complex productions including the provision of instruction/guidance to others.
• Good verbal/written communication skills, customer service skills and sensitivity to interact with a diversity of clients in a courteous and efficient manner.
• Knowledge of technical Theatre language and headset etiquette is mandatory.
• Good organizational leadership skills are required to organize, guide and instruct technical crew at all skill levels and to interface with clients in satisfying their production needs.
• Knowledge of Lighting, lighting design programs and CAD.
• Standard First Aid & CPR C
We thank all applicants who apply, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: $18.76 - $20.84 / Hour
Please apply on-line at www.markham.ca
A municipality of more than 310,000 residents centrally located in the Greater Toronto area, is Canada’s most diverse community and home to many of Canada’s leading life science and technology businesses. Recipient of a 2010 Canada Award for Excellence – Silver for outstanding achievements in quality, customer service, and a healthy workplace, the City of Markham is renowned for its rich heritage, vibrant neighbourhoods and leadership on the environment and urban design.