This is a Permanent, Part-time position.Category: Technical
The primary function of this position is to support the Kay Meek Centre and its clients in presenting a broad range of theatre, dance, music, film, student and community events in the areas of lighting, sound, and set installation. Reporting to the Production Manager / Technical Director (PM/TD), the Assistant Technical Director (ATD) supervises and participates in production set-up and strikes, acts as lighting/sound operator for events, provides direction for crews as needed and participates in maintenance of theatre equipment.
Contract: this is a part time hourly contract position, with a guaranteed minimum of 20 hours between September and June. Additional hours are offered according to rehearsal, performance and maintenance needs as set by the PM/TD with reasonable notice. Flexibility of work hours is required including many evenings and weekends.
Job Duties and Tasks, include but are not limited to:
Provides technical assistance to PM/TD and support to Kay Meek Centre and its clients:
• sets up and operates all theatre equipment for productions;
• maintains a variety of equipment (lighting, sound, rigging and fly gallery, tools and equipment);
• performs maintenance and repairs; cleans stage;
• when requested, advises users on technical requirements for events and productions;
• when requested, participates in production meetings;
• supervises and enforces safety procedures of all users;
• manages and leads technical crews.
Performs other related duties:
• communicates with clients to execute technical aspects of bookings and productions;
• advises staff of theatre cleaning and maintenance needs;
• when requested, help train and supervise students operating equipment;
• maintains a high degree of confidentiality.
Minimum Requirements and Educational Experience:
• Completion of a Diploma program in Stagecraft or similar at a recognized post-secondary institution
• Minimum two years related work experience in a wide variety of theatre related areas such as sound, lighting, and rigging or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Complete knowledge of professional sound and lighting Systems
• Comfortable operating digital audio mixing consoles
• Experienced in programming and operating ETC Ion lighting consoles
• Working knowledge of other theatrical areas, e.g.: rigging, carpentry, projection, QLab
• A desire to keep abreast of present and new trends / practices, in the industry
• Experience operating technical systems for live performances.
• Good working knowledge of English (written and verbal), and good interpersonal and communication skills with community users, professional artists, students and staff.
• Capable of manual labour and is comfortable on catwalks, ladders and man lifts.
• Ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision and as part of a team, lead and manage technical crews, and establish priorities and achieve deadlines.
Please submit cover letter, resumé and the names and phone numbers of 3 references attached as a PDF or Word document, by 5pm on August 8, 2014 BY EMAIL ONLY to to the attention of Hiring Committee: Assistant Technical Director.
Please note in your cover letter where you saw this job posting.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview are contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are considered confidential. The Kay Meek Centre for the Performance Arts is an equal opportunity employer.
The Kay Meek Centre in West Vancouver seeks an experienced part time Assistant Technical Director. Since opening its doors on November 6, 2004, the Kay Meek Centre has grown and developed into a cultural jewel for West Vancouver and the North Shore. Our mission is “to produce, provide and present excellent performing arts experiences and opportunities for our community and beyond.”