This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS OF THE ATD - HEAD OF LIGHTING
- To coordinate, operate, maintain and advise on all lighting and projection systems and components of the GCTC Mainstage theatre;
- To work with all regular employees to ensure the coordination and operation of the technical aspects of all GCTC productions, with an emphasis on set building and set carpentry;
- To advise on lighting and projection requirements for the GCTC Facility, incoming rentals, and special events, as-required.
SUPERVISOR AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- The ATD - Head of Lighting at GCTC reports to the GCTC Production Manager in cooperation with the GCTC Technical Director.
HOURS OF WORK
- It is understood that hours for the ATD - Head of Lighting will vary according to the requirements of specific productions, the work of this position will often necessitate extensive hours per week prior to production opening;
- The ATD - Head of Lighting is expected to operate lighting for all Mainstage Productions.
- The successful candidate for this position must be, or be willing to become, a member in good standing of IATSE Local 471.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ATD - HEAD OF LIGHTING
- Be on budget and on time as per production schedules and rental agreements or receive approval for any variances;
- Estimate material expenses for all shows as-relates to Lighting, Projection and Special Effects in particular, and assist on costing set carpentry and build materials for all productions;
- Communicate regularly with lighting, set and projection designers and the Production Manager regarding costing and recommending possible avenues to ensure that the shows will come on or under budget;
- Approve lighting and projection designs and the execution thereof with regard to safety, compatibility and scheduling;
- Execute of all hangs, focuses, level-sets, cueing and lighting touch-up sessions;
- Program and operate lighting systems during cueing, technical rehearsals and performances for all GCTC productions;
- Supervise the build, fit-up, strike and returns of all GCTC sets, costumes, props, lighting and sound, as-required;
- Be responsible for the safe workings of all special effects including rigging;
- Attend all GCTC Production Meetings as well as frequent GCTC Staff Meetings.
- Coordinate efficient lighting system and projection equipment maintenance on an ongoing basis;
- Research and oversee installation of various capital replacement projects on an ongoing basis.
- Be responsible for the supervision of GCTC's contract production personnel on an as-needed basis including, but not limited to, stage electricians, carpenters, painters, props and costume buyers/builders with special attention as to their competency and safety;
- Be responsible for coordinating contract production personnel in consultation with the Production Manager and the GCTC Technical Director;
- Maintain a close and respectful working relationship with all members of the Production Crew.
- Maintain a clean, safe, efficient, secure and equitable working environment;
- Report any accidents/incidents to the Production Manager;
- Be fully responsible for any keys, petty cash and credit cards issued by GCTC .
- Take on additional production and facility tasks as-assigned by the Production Manager;
- Uphold the professional image and name of the great Canadian Theatre Company in good faith during all dealings with staff, guest artists, the public, suppliers, sponsors and other theatre companies;
- Abide by all company rules and by-laws as detailed in the Employee Handbook.
- A minimum of three years experience in a comparable professional technical directing position or equivalent;
- A strong working knowledge of show costing, lighting and projections systems, with a good knowledge of set construction practices, materials costing, and special effects;
- A strong working knowledge of common lighting languages, console operation, dimmers and lighting circuitry;
- A working knowledge of theatre rigging, safe ladder-work, and working at-heights;
- A strong understanding of the creative process of the theatre as it applies to technical aspects of professional production;
- A strong understanding of PC-based administrative software including Microsoft Word, Excel, etc.;
- The ability to effectively supervise and communicate with all casual crew;
- A commitment to safe working practices in a theatrical environment;
- A commitment to active and respectful teamwork within a tight-knit group of theatre professionals.
Assets for this position
- A specialty in hands-on set construction and carpentry;
- The ability to read, manipulate and interpret theatrical technical drawings such as ground-plans, construction drawings and lighting plots in digital format;
- A working knowledge of live-performance video software such as Q-lab Video, Isadora, etc.
- GCTC expects all employees to participate and play a vital role in forwarding the artistic vision and mandate and for the promotion and health of the organization.
- All staff members employed by GCTC are expected to use reasonable judgment and discretion regarding confidentiality when discussing GCTC business within and outside the work environment.
- All staff and contractors employed by the GCTC are expected to work collaboratively, cooperatively and respectfully to resolve conflict, to facilitate timely decision-making and to ensure a healthy work environment for all.
- GCTC is committed to the professional development of its employees and will periodically approve specialized training and other opportunities to support the professional development of its staff.
GCTC is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome. Interested parties should apply with cover letter and resumé, detailing all relevant experience to:
RE: Assistant Technical Director - Head of Lighting Search
Great Canadian Theatre Company
300-1227 Wellington Street West
Ottawa, ON K1Y 0G7
Applications must be received by Friday, October 16th 2015 at 4:30pm
Great Canadian Theatre Company has successfully produced professional contemporary English-language theatre in Ottawa since 1975. With over 85 world premieres, GCTC has made a strong commitment to advancing Canadian theatre and the creation of Canadian plays. The company has a long history of creating theatre that is compassionate, thought provoking and immediately relevant. Our audience craves theatre that is emotionally charged, intellectually engaging and theatrically exciting. We produce theatre that does not prescribe a point of view, but rather encourages audience members to engage in debate and discussion.
GCTC is located in Ottawa and includes a 262 seat, modern Mainstage theatre and a black box, flexible studio space. We own and operate the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre and take our role of mentoring, supporting and sharing our resources with the artistic community seriously. In fact, this is an integral part of our identity as an arts organization. Our mandate is to produce theatre that "examines Canadian life and our place in the world”.