This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
Canada's National Ballet School is currently inviting applications for the contract, full-time position of:
ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (FEBRUARY – JULY 2016)
Reporting to the Technical Director, the ATD will provide technical expertise and leadership for theatre and other venue usage by school productions, rentals and guest productions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Providing technical expertise and leadership for NBS productions and events.
• Assisting with the set-up, running and teardown of any equipment required for an event.
• Facilitating the use of the theatre and other NBS rental venues.
• Facilitating the use of the theatre and studios for the school by providing “on-call” assistance to staff, students, and teachers using the space.
• Ensures the smooth and safe operation of the theatre and NBS studios by monitoring equipment maintenance and repairs.
• Post-Secondary education in a theatre-related program or equivalent;
• Minimum two (2) years of hands-on production experience;
• Demonstrated leadership skills to supervise and motivate the crew;
• Working knowledge of theatre and dance production aspects including dance floors, lighting, sound, rigging in a fly house, staging & set elements;
• Strong knowledge of health & safety regulations and safe rigging and work at height procedures;
• Proven understanding of technical riders; ability to interpret the needs of rental and in- house clients;
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office; good organizational and scheduling skills;
• Experience with ETC ION lighting console; Experience with digital audio consoles is an asset;
• Hours of work may vary to include evenings and weekends for NBS, Rental Shows, and Events;
• Knowledge of Vectorworks and Audio-Visual equipment is an asset;
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through the Human Resources Department of NBS.
Qualified applicants should send their resume and cover letter to by January 24, 2016*. Please include “Assistant Technical Director - 2016” in the subject line of your email.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
* Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
NBS is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School is one of the world’s foremost training institutions for aspiring young dancers and teachers. Attracting students from across the country and around the world, NBS is the only ballet academy in North America to provide elite dance training, academic instruction and residential care on the same campus. The School’s progressive curriculum, with its emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of the student, has put NBS at the forefront of dance training internationally.
Making dance relevant to all persons through its philosophy of ‘sharing dance’ sees NBS engaging a diverse mix of participants, from school children to people living with Parkinson’s Disease, in both on and off-site classes.