This is a Temporary, Part-time position.Category: Production
The Assistant Production Manager supports the Production Manager in the management of all production staff and production elements of Manitoba Theatre for Young People’s activities. The position is directly accountable for all MTYP company management and facility rental functions. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Assistant Production Manager maintains a high level of artistic integrity, safety and appropriate working environment for artistic and production personnel. The Assistant Production Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Administrative and Operational
• Advises of and assists the organization with special production activities and long-range planning and development
• As directed by the Production Manager, completes all required CAEA or ADC documents, forms, contracts or any other correspondence with regards to season schedule and artist engagements.
• Supports the Production Manager in the flow of information within the production department and with other MTYP departments, as required
• Supports the Production Manager in gathering and disseminating information from guest companies to all MTYP departments in the organization, as required.
• Oversees all aspects of facility rentals within parameters set out in the operating budget established by the Artistic Director and General Manager and approved by the board including responding to client inquiries, venue tours, negotiation of contracts, hiring event support staff and, in collaboration with the MTYP Accountant, ensures the prompt reconciliation post-event
• Assists the Production Manager in overseeing the day to day operations of the facility.
• Assists the Production Manager in Health & Safety implementation as per MTYP policy and legislated requirements
• Supports the Production Manager in the preparation of operating and capital budgets for the production department
• Prepares cheque requisitions and provides to the MTYP Accountant for all tour-related company expenses including per diems and accommodation allowances.
• Tracks production expenditures related to touring and facility rentals accurately throughout the season; provides support to the Production Manager for all expense tracking as requested.
• Participates in creating cost estimates of all set and hard prop designs as well as equipment required for each production in a manner that supports the director and design deadlines
• Consults with the Production Manager to ensure all scheduling of production personnel for touring or facility rentals meets programming needs and is within the parameters of the operating budget as set by the Artistic Director and General Manager and approved by the Board.
• Supports the Production Manager in the maintenance of production and facility inventory records.
• Supervises stage management and production personnel, in consultation with the Production Manager, for all company touring activities.
• Informs the Production Manager of any touring-related production department or facility rental personnel requirements to ensure appropriate delivery of program areas.
• Advises the Production Manager on recruitment for production department personnel and assists with the maintenance of correspondence files
• Supervises technical and dress rehearsals in the absence of, or as delegated by, the Production Manager
• Participates in regularly-scheduled production meetings to trouble-shoot and coordinate the resolution of concerns of designers, composers, directors, stage managers, production staff, the Artistic Director and directors/creative artists involved in the MTYP School, including post-mortem meetings on all projects, as requested.
• Attends and participates in all production department meetings while on contract, including post-mortem meetings.
• Informs the Production Manager of any personnel matters that may arise from time to time; supports the Production Manager in the resolution of same as required.
• Prepares tour itineraries for MTYP touring productions that follow MTYP’s policies and comply with terms outlined in the Canadian Theatre Agreement (CTA), especially those pertaining to Theatre for Young Audiences Clause (TYA Clause)
• Arranges for all hotels, billet and travel for artists and creative personnel and provides all pertinent and applicable information to appropriate MTYP managers in a timely manner
• Coordinates local ground transportation as per signed contracts and agreements, including airport pick up and return, for all creative personnel and guest companies
• Meets and/or communicates with the cast, artists or production personnel on tour, before and during the tour towards the smooth delivery of the tour.
• Troubleshoots, in consultation with the Production Manager, any tour-related emergencies that may arise and/or provides ongoing support in a timely manner to the artists and production personnel on tour.
• Arranges for all carnets, visas, declarations and waivers and any other applicable required documentation for MTYP international touring activities.
• Provides support to all visiting international companies requiring visas, declarations and waivers as required.
• Oversees the appropriate maintenance of the MTYP touring vehicle
• Other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Artistic Director, General Manager and Production Manager.
To be successful in this role, candidates should be highly organized, have strong written and verbal communication skills, work well with moderate levels of supervision and appreciate opportunities for collaboration with fellow team members. Additional required qualifications include:
• Minimum 1-2 years of experience in production or stage management including demonstrated experience related to the planning, costing, supervision and execution of theatrical production requirements.
• Knowledge of CTA and ADC agreements and experience in the execution of documentation required to fulfil.
• Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and legislation.
• Ability to produce high-quality work on a deadline and comfortable managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively and analytically.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office programs
• Works effectively both independently and in a team environment.
• Post-secondary education in theatre production or equivalent training.
This position is governed by a seasonal contract of 24 hours/week and 40 weeks.
Standard hours are 9 am – 5 pm however earlier morning, evening and weekend work is required throughout the season.
We are anticipating a start date for the successful of mid-September with the exact date to be negotiated with the successful candidate.
Salary: $20.00 - $22.00/hour, dependent on experience.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a résumé with cover letter/letter of interest and three references, no later than July 27, 2018 to:
Manitoba Theatre for Young People
Manitoba Theatre for Young people is a professional theatre company devoted to young people. Our home, a venue built specifically for young audiences, is a recognized centre for the creation of theatre and participation in the arts. We produce and present professional theatre, provide training in theatre and related arts, and support the development of new and re-imagined works that portray the experiences of children and youth. We are a decisive voice in Canada's artistic and cultural life.
MTYP empowers all young people to transform the world with imagination and creativity.