This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Management
The Canadian Opera Company is currently seeking a full-time Assistant Production Manager who will provide administrative and production management assistance to all aspects of the COC’s productions. The position includes administration of hourly payroll, co-ordination of purchase orders and invoices, managing all non-vocal casting for the company’s operas, managing all design, Canadian Actors’ Equity Association and supernumerary contracts, and deputizing for the production manager at various special events and operas as assigned.
• Working with supernumerary co-ordinators, agents, directors and the artistic department to cast the non-vocal roles for COC operas and co-ordinate communications between the creative teams and production departments
• Create contracts for all stage management, supernumerary, actor, dancer, and choreographic personnel, and administer those contracts for their duration
• Administer all rental, co-production and design contracts
• Deputizes for the production manager, as assigned, and acts as production manager for the Opera for Young Audiences performances
• Administer and co-ordinate processing and payment of all production department invoices
• Co-ordinate with the technical department in facilitating the shipping and customs clearances of all international and domestic shipments for the production department
• Work with all companies renting production materials from the COC including shipment, expenditures on their behalf, travel and per diem for travelling craftspeople and reconciliation of all rental contracts following the end of the rental
• Review and submit for payment all IATSE and CAEA timesheets on a weekly basis
• Attend all IATSE and CAEA negotiation sessions as part of the COC negotiating team
The COC is a fast paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines. This position requires you to co-ordinate and supervise the activities of others while working to tight deadlines.
This is a full-time position with benefits.
• Experience working within opera, ballet or theatre companies, with a preference for technical direction, production management or related experience
• Working knowledge of production process including scenic, lighting design and equipment
• Broad general knowledge of the workings of a producing performing arts company
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to interact with all staff in a professional and tactful manner
• Thinking creatively – develop, design and create new ideas, systems and relationships, including artistic contributions
• Ability to analyze information, evaluate results and make informed decisions
• Strong judgment and decision-making – considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions
• Co-ordination of work activities for self and others by identifying information by categorizing, estimating, and detecting changes in circumstances in events
• Monitor processes, materials, and surroundings with the ability to review information to detect or assess problems
• Critical thinking using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches.
• Excellent time management skills; ability to manage own time and time of others
• Ability to adjust actions and/or plans in relation to others’ actions
• Strong attention to detail
• Valid Police Check and Vulnerable Persons Clearance Certificate
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Salary: Please contact Lorraine O'Connor, Manager, Human Resources for salary range.
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail, stating salary expectations, no later than Thursday, December 14, 2017 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Only applications received by Thursday, December 14, 2017 will be considered. The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006. For more information on the COC, visit coc.ca.