Regional Affiliation or Section: USA International
Disciplines: Management; Architecture; Education; Design; Health and Safety
Deutsche Theatertechnische Gesellschaft (DTHG) e.V.) – German Theatre Technical Society – the professional association for stage technology
Professional association since the year 1907 – co-creator and supporter of the branch's development
DEUTSCHE THEATERTECHNISCHE GESELLSCHAFT (DTHG) is one of the oldest professional associations in Germany.
Founded in the year 1907 DTHG is the "child" of the unique German theatre world.
When at the beginning of the 20th century the establishment of the civic city theatre was perceived as an expression of the term of culture in the country of poets and thinkers it was time, too, to accompany the inventions of the theatre technical industry with professional qualification.
Today and for the future the importance of public culture has increased indisputably.
German theatre technology is an export hit, it is used all over the world by now.
In these more than 100 years DTHG has accompagnied a lot of changes of the branch of stage and event technology and long since is not focused only on the theatre sector anymore. It is one of DTHG's most important tasks to bring together the manufacturers and experts as users, to formulate requirements on the professional training and education and to become active in many legislative questions – deliberatively, sometimes admonishingly, too.
Board and association are comprised by representatives of well-known manufacturers, technical directors as well as technicians of the whole branch. President is Mr Karl-Heinz Mittelstädt (Baden-Württembergische Staatstheater Stuttgart).
Not least because of a lot of active voluntary staff members (board, regional managers, representatives) DTHG can work effectively in many areas.
DTHG's tasks and fields of activity:
- working in committees
- networking activities with cooperative associations
- trade shows and conferences:
Together with Messe Berlin every two years DTHG organizes Stage|Set|Scenery at the Berlin fairground in June. In the years between DTHG organizes a Bühnentechnische Tagung (BTT), a conference for stage technology.
- services for DTHG members
For its members (more than 240 companies, 1200 personal members, 52 institutional members and 15 cooperating associations) DTHG offers many opportunities to use the association's network and to be well prepared for daily business life, p.e,
- regular opportunities for self-improvement and the exchange of experiences at regional meetings, trade shows and conferences,
- representatives of the board as specialist contact persons for many topics (p.e. venue regulations, vocational education and further training, vocational schools, rigging, audio engineering),
- DTHG online job market, the most relevant job portal for the stage technology branch,
- Online database of DTHG member companies, with numerous searching tools,
- DTHG bookshop with an up to date selection of publications on all areas of stage technology, event management as well as historical and current developments and trends in architecture and scenography.