This is a Permanent, Full-time position.Category: Technical
• Construct sets for Royal MTC productions
• Oversee onstage assembly, finishing alterations, and completion of the set
• Oversee and supervise any assistant carpenters or other crew assigned to help with construction and set-up of the set
• Ensure all shop equipment is well maintained
• Maintain safe working conditions
• Maintain the carpentry shop in a an orderly and tidy fashion
• Sound working knowledge of theatrical carpentry, rigging, and mechanics including pneumatics, hydraulics and electric.
• Able to read technical drawings and related specifications
• Able to prepare cost estimate and cutting lists based on plans and or maquette
• Thorough understanding of scenographic and theatre technology terms and principals
• Familiar with a wide variety of scenic materials including, fibreglass, Styrofoam and its derivatives, thermoplastics, steel, aluminium, fabrics and assorted adhesives.
• Thorough understanding of all shop machinery; Able to maintain equipment and train others on safe and proper use
• Welding experience is considered an asset
• Must possess and provide basic carpentry tools
• Be a member of IATSE local 63 in good standing or willing to join
This is a full time seasonal positon for September through May (approximately 25-30 weeks). The position covers four regular season shows, one large fundraiser show and rentals.
Start Date: Fall 2017
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume by Wednesday, May 24th to Russell Martin, Director of Production at
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
The Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre exists to celebrate the widest spectrum of theatre art. Deeply rooted in the province of Manitoba, which gave it life and provides for its growth, Royal MTC aspires to both reflect and inform the community it serves. Canada’s oldest regional theatre, each season Royal MTC produces ten plays at two venues as well as the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, a Master Playwright Festival, and an annual regional tour. www.royalmtc.ca