This is a Temporary, Full-time position.Category: Technical
As directed by the Manager, Production & Technical Services, the Theatre Production Technician assists in the delivery of technical services to support all events within the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts Performance Complex. Maintains a presence on site during performances, exhibitions, and events, as assigned. Applies thorough specialist technical knowledge of at least one aspect of theatre production (e.g., lighting, audio, video, film projection, costumes, props, stage management, rigging, and stage carpentry), to ensure the provision of high quality technical services and support for all theatre productions. Acts as group lead responsible for coordinating the Junior Theatre Production Technicians in the operation, installation, and maintenance of technical equipment and systems, as assigned by the Manager, Production and Technical Services, Faculty, and the Resident Theatre Technicians. Performs other related duties consistent with position title and classification.
• **High school graduation and one year post-secondary education with training towards a formal program certificate/diploma program equivalent in theatre production.
• **4 years of related experience.
• Good knowledge of theatrical and performance technologies, systems, and practices.
• Thorough specialist technical knowledge of at least one aspect of theatre production (e.g., lighting, audio, video, costumes, props, stage management, rigging, and stage carpentry.
• Good knowledge of Environmental Health & Safety and Work Safe BC safety protocols and practices in addition to the safety protocols standard to the performance industry.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent customer service and client relations skills.
• Ability to operate personnel lifts, dollies, risers, platforms, decking, drapery, chain motors, pulleys, ropes, cables, and other such devices.
• Ability to interpret drafted floor plans, plots, and elevations.
• Ability to climb and to work at heights.
• Ability to coordinate, train, motivate, and provide direction to technical staff and crew.
• Ability to coordinate the work of others in a fast paced environment within strict timelines.
• Ability to appreciate and support the delivery of educational opportunities.
• Ability to work flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, and weekends, and to work extended hours, as required.
• Ability to lift and carry equipment up to 25 kg.
• **or an equivalent combination of formal education, certificate/program of study and experience is acceptable.
There are 2 positions available. Position 1: September 21st, 2017 to December 2nd, 2017. Position 2: September 21st, 2017 to December 20th, 2017.
Preference will be given to candidates with strong skills in the area of Lighting.
Full details of posting can be found at:
Full Job Description:
Salary: $26.43 Plus 9% in lieu of benefits, based on bi-weekly hours of 70 maximum
A detailed resume and cover letter quoting Competition #415 must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on
August 2, 2017, addressed to the attention of Francesca Turrell, Human Resources Advisor. Please follow the application
Application instructions at:
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Goldcorp Centre for the Arts (SFU Woodward's) if a multi-venue, state of the art performance complex, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Venues include a 350 seat cinema, 4 black box theatres of variable capacities and capabilities, an acoustic concert space, and an art gallery. GCA is also the home of the Simon Fraser University's School for the Contemporary Arts. Events range from lectures and conferences, International Film Festivals, to large scale international theatrical, dance & multi-media performances.